Followers

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

What Do We Have Today For "A Chorus Line" Week???????? What Else, But "At The Ballet??????????????????????"


                            "At The Ballet" is one of the most beautifully, and simply, staged musical numbers of all time. It is also the moment that sucks the viewer into the heart of what "A Chorus Line" is about--the lives of its aspirants.

                               I connected with it immediately.  At the tender age of 20, when I saw the show, I related to it as things I used to escape the unpleasant aspects of my adolescence, and for me that included a whole lot of film watching and forming knowledge of film history.  It took me to the place of escape I needed, just as ballet took Sheila, Bebe and Maggie.

                                And the Originals--Kelly Bishop (Sheila), Nancy Lane (Bebe) and Kay Cole (Maggie) own the number. So, of course I cannot think of a better way to represent this historical moment, than to use them.

                                   So, despite some poor film quality, but very discernible image and sound, here they are, in the Original production, 40 years ago, at the Newman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     "It wasn't paradise........but it was home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

No comments: