Followers

Friday, September 4, 2015

"Bobby, We've Been Trying To Reach You All Day/Bobby, There Was Something We Wanted To Say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                           I first became aware of Dean Jones in  a television series called "Ensign O' Toole," which was definitely a "McHale's Navy ripoff.  I had no interest in shows dealing with war, so I would only watch the opening credits, so I became aware of Jones' name.

                            I became aware of him when he starred--but was second billed beneath--the one and only Hayley Mills, in her final Disney film, "That Darn Cat."  Then he launched on a series of Disney films, two of which I saw were "The Ugly Daschund,"--wherein I discovered Suzanne Pleshette!!!!---and "The Love Bug," which despite the myriad of diverse films turned out in its year, was the number one box office earner in 1969!  Everyone went to see it!

                              Then came 1970, with "Company."  And Theater Queens took notice.

                               I cut my teeth on the Original Cast Album. Anyone who remembers at the time, knows Dean owned the role of Bobby.  And I have seen others in my time, but none have matched the emotional resonance of Dean.  To think this was written for Anthony Perkins.  I think he could have handled it, but Dean brought something solid, less flighty, to it, than Perkins would have.

                                 Not to mention that cast--Pamela Myers, with "Another Hundred People," Donna McKechnie, with her show stopping "Tick-Tock--all of which was staged by Michael Bennett.  Also Harold Prince.

                                    So sad to learn of Jones' passing, on September 1, from complications related to Parkinson's disease!  He was 84!!!!!!!!!!

                                    It is for "Company" that Jones is truly remembered, and for that alone, the lights should be dimmed on Broadway in his honor.  Or, at least like the did with the "Les Miz" actor, dim the lights at the Neil Simon, on 52nd Street, which was the Alvin, when "Company" opened.

                                     Several of its cast is gone, and that is sad. But Dean will join them, and together they will do the opening number.

                                       Here it is, darlings!  Listen and enjoy!

                                       Rest In Peace, Dean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

e jerry said...

I'm glad you've brought up all the good memories of Jones, and not all the Hyper-Christian nastiness he got into later.

The Raving Queen said...


Actually, I was never aware of that. I know he disappeared for a time, but
when I heard he had Parkinson's, I figured it was that. The Christian thing I had no idea about! Yuck!