Followers

Friday, September 25, 2015

Say It Isn't So!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anne Hathaway Is NOT "Mary Poppins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                        Let me be very clear about this, girls!!!!!!!!!  I love Anne Hathaway.  I saw "The Devil Wears Prada" twice, as much for Anne and Emily Blunt as MERYL!!!!!!!!!!  I sobbed copiously during her Oscar winning Fantine!

                                        But--for those of us of a certain age, and children who grew up with the film in succeeding years, Anne Hathaway will NEVER be Mary Poppins, because Julie Andrews always WILL!!!!!!!!!!!

                                         Yes, there is a remake of this classic in the works.  Let us hope it does not see the light of day.  It is not that Anne does not have the vocal chops to sing the role; she actually does!   But the beloved Sherman Brothers score is to be jettisoned for a new one written by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman.

                                          I mean, no "Feed The Birds?'  Come on; that is the heart of the movie!  And SO beautiful.  I fear this 'Poppins' will be less Disney and more P.L. Travers, and, frankly, I thought Disney did a better job with it.  His 1964 "Mary Poppins" is the only musical fantasy film to even come near the brilliance of the 1939 "Wizard Of Oz."  And no one would DARE talk about making that film!!!!!!!!!!!  I hope!

                                           So, Anne, it's not that you can't do it, it is just that you shouldn't.  Julie Andrews owns the role!  Leave it alone!

                                              If you don't believe me, take a look at "Feed The Birds!"  Who could possibly outdo this?????????????????

No comments: