Followers

Friday, July 27, 2018

Just A Sampling Of What Is Coming In The Fall, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                            Don't take my word for the above, darlings.  It has been a vapid year, so far, for fiction, that I am looking ahead to the Fall, even while ensconced in a literary epic that is the best piece of fiction I have read since "Pachinko," by Min Jin Lee.  The current book is called "Do Not Say We Have Nothing," so gorgeous it has held me spellbound for the past two days, and I expect to finish it today, even if I stay up into the wee hours.  The novel is by Madeline Thien, and, as soon as I am done, you will get a complete report.

                            But I have wondered about what is coming out in the Fall.  Here are a few things which caught my eye.
I could be wrong about this one, but if handled properly this could be the Book Of The Year.  An examination of the love affair between Martha Gelhorn and Ernest Hemingway.  If successful, it would be the first time Hemingway got my attention.  But, then he did not write this one, did he?
Keep your eyes on this one, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not familiar with Kate Morton, but a novel about how a murder committed in the past haunts down to the present day is a must for my reading list.  This could shape up to be a major surprise.
Another political romance epic, but set against the conflicting background of North Korea.  Asian fiction is getting more and more interesting, as time goes by, so I cannot wait for this one!
Hey, how long has it been since I read Tana French?  I have read and liked so much of her work, I am not sure which I have not read.  But I love the title "The Witch Elm."  While caring for his dying Uncle Hugo, at the ancestral estate, a man named Toby makes a series of discoveries about his past?  Wonder what those are?  Sounds like a blend of Dickens and Wilkie Collins to me!  In which case, hold me a copy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Need I say more than Barbara Kingsolver?  That is reason enough to read it.  But so is its setting, Vineland, New Jersey, and how a woman becomes linked to the history of the home she is dwelling in, and makes outward connections to today.  Kingsolver is said to tackle all sorts of social issues in this book.  I cannot wait to read it.
This could be a mixed bag.  Perry's previous novel, "The Essex Serpent," had great cover art, and a story that kept me going, until the whole thing copped out as a sham.  Now, she is back with someone seeking another mythical creature--hence the title!  Will it be real this time?   Please, let it be!

I have also heard the name Kate Atkinson bandied about, with a novel called "Transcriptions."  Kate is always worth reading.  And how about Richard Powers?  I have heard good things about his forthcoming book, "The Overstory."  

So, that is what I see, on the literary horizon.  I am sure there will be some big name surprises--REALLY big names--before The Times List comes out.

Happy reading, everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Victoria said...

I think I'm most excited about Tana French.
I, too am a sucker for a catchy title!

Victoria said...

Also, Early Work by Andrew Martin

The Raving Queen said...


Oh, yes, I love Tana French, too.
Am not familiar with Andrew Martin,
but will look it up.

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,

Just read about Early Works.
I want to read it, too.