Followers

Monday, July 9, 2018

What Is Going On, Over At "Straight White Men???????????????"

                       I can't even begin to answer what is going on with actual straight white men, as that could take till the end of Time, and, after all, I am only two out three--which ain't bad!!!!!!!!!!!

                        But Broadway, these days, seems caught up in the midst of scandal!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You already know about the debacle over at "My Fair Lady," where Lauren Ambrose cannot cut it, so she is not doing the Sunday matinees, now it seems the play "Straight White Men" cannot keep a cast member, within a particular role.  What gives???????????????

                          I will tell you, this play was not even on my radar, but, after all the scandal, it has peaked my interest.  Downtown doyenne Young Jean Lee is having her first play produced on Broadway, which is exciting enough, but is making history as the first Asian woman to do so.  That alone is interesting, because, considering the titular subject, I wonder what her take on things is??????  And it is being directed by Steppenwolf alum Anna D. Shapiro, who brought "August: Osage County" to Broadway, and who can forget that??????????????

                         Both David and I became aware of the play, on June 24, when we walked past the Hayes, (why not Helen Hayes, anymore????) after being transported by the magic of "Carousel," the show I refuse to stop writing about.  We walked past, and both remarked that Tom Skerritt, who was then pictured, was in the play, and what a good actor he is, and isn't it nice for him to be on Broadway?????????

                           Well, it seemed like barely a day later, I heard Tom was out, and Denis Arndt, who was so good, opposite Mary-Louise Parker, in "Heisenberg," was in.  I loved Denis with Mary-Louise, and thought he would be an excellent actor for the show.  Then, it seems I barely turn around, and Steven Payne, another fine actor, who has been understudying the role of patriarch Ed all along, is going on in the role.  Payne is still with the show, so let's hope things have settled down.

                              But, girls, what the hell is going on?  Arndt cited "creative differences."  I don't know about Skerritt, but that coined term means the actor(s) was having trouble with the playwright, director, or both.  According to what I  have read, the plot is deceptively simple--a patriarch gathers his three sons for a Christmas dinner.  The mother has passed on, and none have been under the roof, without her, for ten years.  Sparks fly, and, I guess "straight white men" issues come up, and are examined.

                                Maybe Skerritt and Arndt did not like the way Lee was examining them. Or that Shapiro was directing them.  I can only speculate.  Shapiro's track record is impeccable, she has directed straight actors before, to marvelous results, so what is it about this play and role that gets folks in a tizzy???????????????

                                   Did Skerritt and Arndt find the material offensive to their orientation, as I find "The Boys In The Band"  to mine?  Only they can tell, and they are free to comment on here.  Gentlemen, I invite you to pour your hearts out, on here!

                                     Or is this all a publicity stunt?  Because, suddenly, I am curious to see a play that was not on my radar.

                                       Considering the acting caliber of Skerritt and Arndt, I am sure this was not a decision made lightly.

                                         What gives, gents?  Do tell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                             

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I hadn't heard much about it either, except that it was an "experimental" play.
That could mean a lot of things.

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
You are absolutely right--it
could mean a lot of things. But
the plot sounds pretty straightforward.
If I go, I will give a full report on
here!