Followers

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

"And I Think It's Gonna Be A Long, Long Time...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                            I really had no idea what I was in for, going in to see "Rocketman."    I mean, I knew I would love all the great Elton John songs, and I had heard Taron Egerton was stellar in it. As well as Bryce Dallas Howard, as Sheila, Elton John's mother, and a real piece of work.

                            Let me shock you by saying two things.  Having been blown away by this film, it might just be the best musical biopic, since BARBRA did "Funny Girl."  Though the ending certainly does not match the power of BARBRA's "My Man."  Or Judy Garland saying "This is Mrs. Norman Maine," in the 1954 "A Star Is Born."

                            Second, the way the songs are not apart from the film, but integrated into the story, combined with the stunning costumes and visuals, I think this is the film "La La Land" wanted, and was trying to be.  But it just did not work there.  Here, it does.

                             As monstrous as Howard's Sheila is, I found the actor playing the father to be more abusive.  Especially when dissing his son's interest in fashion!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Throw the shit out!  Sheila did, which was one sign of sense she had; the other was recognizing her child's musical ability, and with the aid of Gemma Jones, as Ivy, that recognition was made good on, as it was seen the young Reginald Dwight got those music lessons.

                              Those scenes, the debut at the Troubadour in LA, the title song, the relationship with Bernie Taupin, superbly played by Jamie Bell, and the use of my favorite song, "Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road," are some of the most moving scenes in the film.

                                But the darker scenes speak for all aspiring artists, who, unless born into the right artistic family--and how many times does that happen?--are never understood or appreciated by those who think that because they love them, they understand them, and the level they are on.  It does not happen, often, and I can tell you, not to the degree shown here, but I have been there, myself.

                                It is great seeing Bryce Dallas Howard, playing a bitch, again.  Here, she goes from the entitled bitch that was Hilly, in "The Help," to an embittered one, here.  And when she lashes out her bitterness at her son--ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!   Maybe they should never have reconciled, but they did.  Too bad Sheila did not get the comeuppance Hilly got in "The Help!"

                                  I refused to see "Bohemian Rhapsody," last year, because I could care less about
Freddie Mercury, or Queen.  All I know of them is "We will, we will ROCK you!"  And that is all I want to know.

                                  But Dexter Fletcher, who produced that, directed "Rocketman," with superb help by George Richmond on  the cinematography,  Chris Dickens on the editing, costumes by Julian Day, and the entire Production Design and Art Direction departments.  Not to mention the aforementioned actors, who all deliver Oscar caliber performances.

                                    I don't know who this Taron Egerton is, but, like I said he inhabits the role of Elton John as effortlessly as BARBRA did Fanny Brice.  I know the Best Actor Oscar last year went to Rami Malek, but, really Egerton's Elton John far surpasses Malek's Freddie Mercury.

                                     Since the film was released still so early in the year, I hope it gets recognized at Oscar time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                         Here is the "Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road" segment of the film.

                                         And, yes, I am a boy who is "too young to be singin' the blues!!!!!!!!!!!"

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Yellow brick road = sad memories for me
And yet it is one of my favorites somehow

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
I love the song because
of its "Wizard Of Oz"
connection. It always
made me think of Judy
Garland. Such talent, such
sadness.

I saw the original Bway "Sweeney
Todd" show right before my mother died.
To this day, there is a line that brings
that whole period back. It is in the
Act Two "Johanna" triplet, when Sweeney
sings "If only angels could prevail, we'd
be the way we were." I wanted that so much,
at the time.