Followers

Friday, June 28, 2019

Trash Queen Is Dead, At 91!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




                          Judith Krantz' books were all trash, and I am not ashamed to say I have read all the works pictured.  When she died, on June 22, in Bel Air, CA, at the age of 91, I was surprised, because to me, Judith Krantz seemed ageless.  But maybe that was because I was so young, during her heyday.

                          Back in the late 70;s and  early 80's, there were two trash authors, who ruled--Krantz, and Barbara Taylor Bradford.  I mean, girls, have you read "A Woman Of Substance?"  You cannot claim to be one of us girls, until you have read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                           Krantz, who evolved from the era of Jacqueline Susann, would write about the things my teen aged self most desired but never expected would get--glamorous gown, exotic locales, high end restaurants, and bitching supreme.  I always said "Scruples" was the story of a woman who had none--and didn't I just LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                            But the Krantz book required of everyone on here is--"I'll Take Manhattan!"  Long before Candace Bushnell created Cary Bradshaw, THIS was the story all Gotham aspirants read!  And then, Valerie Bertinelli, in the made-for-TV movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh, my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                             Krantz may have been trash, but compared to what passes for that on the market today, she and Babs (Bradford) might as well have been the Brontes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                             Indeed, "New York Magazine" did a piece on Mort Janklow, and lawyer and member of the literati, who handled all these authors, and was married to Linda LeRoy, daughter of Mervyn, who produced "The Wizard Of Oz."  It was my intention to read as many of these books as I could, and then go work for Mort.  The books gave me aspirations.  But the results took me to other places!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                               The best memorial to Judith Krantz, which I would like to see, is a pink boutique, like the cover of "Mistral's Daughter," selling haute couture, and hardback and paperback copies of Krantz' work.  It could be called "Krantz'," and pilgrims would flock to it, straight women and queens alike.

                                Till the day that may or may not arrive, rest in peace Judith.

                                 You gave our younger, baby boomer selves, something to aspire to!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: