Followers

Monday, June 3, 2019

Girls, You Simply Have GOT To Read It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                         This book was always on my periphery, but when a friend of ours passed it on to me, I felt now was the time I was meant to read it. And am I glad I did, because not only is it enthralling and moving, it also features one of the great bitches of the last century.

                                           That would be Georgia Tann, and, as soon as her name was mentioned in this novel, I had an idea of what I was in for.  Some of you, out there, may, too, if you recall a 1993 television movie called "Stolen Babies," in which Mary Tyler Moore, in a career breaker of a performance, played the hateful Tann.

                                            This novel traces the connection of the Southern, aristocratic Stafford family, to the Tennessee Children's Home scandal, which ran from the 30's to 1950.  Avery, the Stafford granddaughter, goes digging, and while she is, we get the story of the Foss family,  who were torn apart by Tann and her cronies, who trafficked children from poor families, often kidnapping them from their own porches, if left alone, or having mascots stationed in hospitals to tell mothers their babies were dead, when, in fact, they were turned over to Tann, who sold them to rich families.

                                              All of this gets dealt with, and resolved, in Lisa Wingate's beautifully written novel, which covers a tragic and disgraceful chapter of history of the last century.

                                               I will tell you, as it is no surprise, having been recorded by history, but Tanner did not get the comeuppance she deserved.  She served no prison time, but died of cancer in 1950. at the age of 59.  I wish the book had covered some of her back story, which I, personally, would like to know, but I do think it highly, and fittingly ironic, the cancer she died of was uterine.

                                                Maybe she did get that comeuppance, after all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                 But, girls, this is a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: