Followers

Monday, June 10, 2019

Now, About The Rest Of The TONY Awards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                  Just because I was ecstatic for Celia, does NOT mean I don't have other things to say about the TONY Awards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So, let's get going!
James Corden--Now, I generally don't like him.  I hated "One Man, Two Guvnors;" like, what the hell was it all about, anyway, and who cares?????????????  And why did he win a TONY Award for that? He is straight, which is a problem, because the TONYS should be hosted by gay men, unless they are attractive and talented, like Josh Groban!!!!!!!!!  But, I have to say James came on like a bonafide lifelong Theatre Queen!!!!!!!!!!!  Is he just hiding in the closet?   Hmmm..... Imagine him doing these 'Chorus Line' moves!!!!!!!!!!  And the whole Bryan Cranston thing was hilarious, as was the "Be More Chill" bathroom parody, with Corrden, Groban, Sarah Bareilles, and Neil Patrick Harris.

But, Jamie, did you have to do that dumb fight thing, using Audra McDonald and Laura Linney?  Thank goodness they were such good sports for going along with the whole thing!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am not sure I would have been.

And that loser routine with Jeff Daniels--that was CRUEL!!!!!!!!!!  I am no champion of his, but even I felt sorry for Daniels, at that moment.  I mean, despite his arrogance, he KNEW,  going in, he would lose to Bryan Cranston, so why rub his nose in it?  What is your beef with Daniels, Corden???????????   I understand, off camera, the actor gave the cameraman a dirty look, and mouthed a profanity.  In this case, I do NOT blame him at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next--"Hadestown"--  I could not be happier for Andre De Shields, whom I saw, with a teen aged Stephanie Mills in "The Wiz," back in 1975!!!!!!!!!!!  I have to admit the concept of the show, and its staging, fascinated me; I was almost willing to break for tickets.  But, after what David and I saw executed on TV, neither one of us felt like breaking the bank to see this show.  There was nothing special enough about this  show to compel either one of us!
Same with "The Cher Show!"  Stephanie J. Block, who has been around awhile, deserves the TONY for the performance she gives!  But the other Chers added nothing!  Had the whole thing been built around Stephanie playing all the Chers, and those songs, I would think about paying a visit! But not on the basis of what I saw last night!

Two shows that got our notice was the "Oklahoma!" revival, and "Beetlejuice," both seeming compelling and engaging enough to spend money for a ticket.  I would not be surprised if we saw one or both of these shows before the Summer is through.

Whatever we end up seeing, I will give you a full report!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The Prom" turned out to be the only musical we saw, this season.  David wanted to see it, as a birthday present, and the musical was so professional, insightful into musical theater and social issues, and was so genuinely FUN that I would not have been upset, had it won.  It might, have, of course, been the biggest upset in the Best Musical category, had this happened, but I certainly could live with it.  I recommended it, in my original post, and do so again.  And go fast, as with no TONYS, I am not sure how long it will last!
What Else???????--I would really like to get a look at Bryan Cranston's turn in "Network."  I would love to see "All My Sons," with Tracy Letts and Annette Benning.  I would love to get a look at "The Ferryman," with its huge cast, and Best Play trophy.  And I wish "The Waverly Gallery" was still running, because I loved Elaine May's tribute to that fine young man, and actor, Lucas Hedges, in his speech.  Now that Celia has won, it is time for Lucas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And did you notice ANNA, in the audience, at the TONYS????????  I understand she organized the whole red carpet thing for this year.  Of course, it was FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the highlight of all was Celia!!!!!!!!!!!  We love you, Celia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I am intrigued by The Ferryman.
It is set in a “vast, cluttered kitchen in rural Ireland”

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
Both David and I were intrigued
by "The Ferryman." But if you
want to see it, act fast. It
closes on July 7.