Followers

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Darlings, I Am SO Alice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Girls, I have always been intriscially drawn to "Alice In Wonderland," ever since my grandmother first read to me ther version from "Walt Disney's Story Treasury," from which I took off and learned to read myself. I just LOVED the illustration of Alice going down the Rabbit Hole, and wouldn't you just know, dolls, I wanted to go down that hole myself. And when I got to Disneyland--THE one and only in Anaheim, CA--back in 1964, at the age of 9 and the summer preceding the release of "Mary Poppins"--you can bet my favorite ride was the Alice In Wonderland ride, where you ride through caterpillar seats into the world of Wonderland depicted in the Disney film. And let me tell you, lambs, at NO other Disney park--in FLA or anywhere else--have they EVEr had this attraction. I wonder why.

Which brings me to the present. A few daya ago I was reading a biography of Lewis Carroll, entitled "The Mystery of Lewis Carroll," that proceeds to debunk all the myths having grown up about him--cheif among them that he was a pedophile, which he was NOT. Now, darlings, with all this referencing of his most celebrated work, I started thinking it was time to reread it, which I did this weekend, and wouldn't you know girls, I wanted to slip into my blue pinafore dress with white apron, hair pulled back, curled up in an armachair sipping tea, and trying to go through holes and mirrors. I tried to do the latter in our house growing up, when I was seven or eight, only to fall off the mantle! And yesterday we went to the Ground Sculpture Gardens, in Hamilton NJ, and with the lake and trees and all, didn't I feel like Alice having Adeventures In Wonderland. Hoeny, go ask me when I am ten feet tall!!!!!!!

But I am SOOOOOOOO Alice, girls, because don't you know we all want to slip away someplace to a wonderland of our own. Just like Neil Sedaka in the song! You can just forget about Tim Burton, loves, when it comes to 'Alice' accept NO substitutes--the only REAL things being Lewis Carroll and John Tenniel.

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! Honey, we LOVE the Jabberwock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: