Followers

Monday, August 12, 2013

This Is One Living Doll, Darlings, I Would Just Love To Have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                      What is it about killer dolls that fascinates people?  The recent passing of Karen Black had me thinking of that wonderful film, "Trilogy Of Terror," from 1976, where she is menaced by a killer voodoo doll!  In the film, the doll creeps about the place.  Much as I would love to own one, if I came home, and found it had moved, or awoke one night to it staring directly at me, I would have plenty of second thoughts!

                                       But killer dolls, or those used as macabre effect, have been a horror staple for years.  How about the classic "Twilight Zone" episode, featuring "Talking Tina," not to mention a pre-"Kojak" Telly Savalas?????????  Who could forget those immortal lines, "My name is talking Tina, and I am going to kill you?"  Or her closing words, "My name is Talking Tina, and you had better be nice to me?"

                                        Then there was Mary Shaw in "Dead Silence," who had hundreds of dolls, especially Billy, that also functioned as puppets.  This also calls to mind, of course, Chucky from the "Child's Play" series,  "Fats," the dummy who takes over Anthony Hopkins in William Goldman's "Magic," and his predecessor, Hugo, Michael Redgrave's alter-ego in the British film anthology classic, "Dead Of Night," not to mention "Willie," Cliff Robertson's dummy in a similarly plotted "Twilight Zone" episode." These are dolls, but they are puppets, too.

                                       No discussion of scary/killer dolls in movies would be complete without mentioning the one doll above all most worth owning--those replicas of child star Baby Jane Hudson, used in the film,
"What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?"  I have wanted one of those since I first saw the film's trailer, back in 1962, at the age of 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                        Killer dolls have not had their day, yet!  Most recently, there was Annabelle, the haunted doll mentioned at the opening of "The Conjuring!!!!!!!!!!"  Too bad more time was not given to her!!!!!!

                                          The hell with Barbie!  What can she offer to compare with these dolls?  What a shame they are not in my collection!!!!!!!!!  But can you imagine the price for just one????????????????

                                           Maybe "Valley Of The Dolls" was not all about pills, after all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: