Followers

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Lee Owns This, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                        The first time I ever heard the song "There Won't Be Trumpets," from "Anyone Can Whistle," was back in 1977, when I saw Millicent Martin in the revue, "Side By Side By Sondheim."  A song she repeats on the cast album of said show.  As I heard it, the first thing I asked, "Why on earth was this gorgeous song cut?"   And I always wondered how it worked into the dramatic fabric of the show.

                                          It was not until the release of another anthology, sometime in the Eighties--I cannot even recall it, darlings--that one got to hear the originator of this song--the great dramatic actress Lee Remick.  I can recall being completely blown away, because, good as she was, who would have thought Lee had the vocal chops for musical theater?  And I have heard, over the years, many renditions of this song, but none can touch Lee's.   I cut my teeth on it, and when I sing the song myself, Lee's is the one I learned how
to from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                         So, for jaded Theater Queens, who need a pick-me-up, or those who have never experienced it, yet, here is Lee Remick singing "There Won't Be Trumpets" from the Original Broadway production of "Anyone Can Whistle," back in 1964, at the Majestic Theatre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                          You will never forget it, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to, frm

No comments: