Followers

Thursday, November 9, 2017

A Fictional Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                              November is a month that seems to be full of anniversaries--joyous and tragic, real and fictitious.  Today, we begin with the fictitious anniversary of Rita Baxter, which was chronicled in my favorite "Cold Case" episode, "The Sleepover."

                             I have written about this episode extensively, as it is an insightful depiction of adolescence, social bullying, and the consequences.  If any of you wonder where the name "Brandi Beaudry" came from, it was here.  Brandi was the Alpha Girl at Chestnut Collegiate in Chestnut Hill, PA. Rita was on scholarship; Brandi and her friend Tiffany, were wealthy divas.  Brandi was the ringleader, but, as it turns out, she did not kill Rita.  Brandi and Tiffany were bitches, and the reason for Brandi's bitchiness is made clear when she is abused by her parents and brother by water boarding.

                               No, it is Ariel Shuman, Rita's one-time best friend, and so desperate to be accepted into Brandi's inner circle, she is devastated, when cast out from it, and kills Rita.

                                Ariel is clearly a sociopath, and I hope she spends the rest of her life in prison.

                                In real time, Rita would be 39 today, and would have made something of herself.

                                Of course, this reminds me of my adolescence, where I was looked upon as Rita, unaccepted by groups I wanted acceptance from.  My best friend, Doug, though we remained friends, I always recognized as having the same capacity as Ariel; if the hippie group in high school had accepted him, he would have dropped me in an instant.  I, on the other hand, would not have sold out, more like Rita.

                                You can see this episode on Video Daily Motion.  All the actresses playing the girls as youth and adults are memorable.  Especially Abigail Mavity as Rita.

                                 Rest In Peace, Rita.  You were too good for those around you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: