Followers

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

The Perfect Book To End My Brat Pack Project!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                     Technically, darlings, I am still not done.  I have to read Donna Tartt's two signature works--"The Secret History," and "The Goldfinch"--then I have to collate the data, write the article, and then....try and SELL it.  This last will be the most difficult of all,   The point is, though I am nearing the end, this will still take me well into 2018.

                                      Before going any further, though, I would like to point out how fun Tuesdays have become, especially in the evenings.  First, we have "At Home With Amy Sedaris," whose hair is awe inspiring, and whose humor is inspired and inspirational.  I just LOVE Amy.  Then, tonight, specifically, we have to deal with the finale of "AHS:  Cult," where all questions had better be answered, and I had better like the answers given.  Not to worry, girls; you will hear about it, on here, tomorrow.

                                       Now, about "Super Sad True Love Story"--

                                       I used to think Gary Shteyngart was shit.  Really.  All the hype surrounding his "The Russian Debutante's Handbook," and I could not even stomach the thing.  I did not even finish it, and it was enough to make me swear off this guy.  Same with Zadie Smith.  But then, "Absurdistan" made The Times Ten Best List, and folks told me to read it, and so I did.  And it was marvelous.

                                         So I decided to give Gary--why spell out his last name, since it sounds like "shit," anyway?--another chance, and read "Absuirdistan."  And I loved it.  When this book came out, things were going on in my life, and I had no impetus to read it.  But, once I began the Brat Pack project, and learned Gary had been an editor for some of those major figures, I grew interested.  Photos of him around that time showed how desperate he was to be a part of that "In" group.  But he looked like this nerdy guy who used to hit on me all the time, over a decade ago, at the LGBT Center.  What chance did Gary have, transitioning to writing?  But I have to hand it to him, for making a go of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                          The thing about "Super Sad True Love Story" is it's thinly disguised autobiography, being Gary is a Russian born nerd writer married to a Korean woman, and so are the characters of Lenny and Eunice in the novel.  One cold call almost call the novel epistolary, since it is written as a series of diary entries and emails.  No George Eliot stylistics, here.  I mean, God forbid.
But plenty of hetero bullshit to show us both the character and Gary are straight, especially as he does not look it.   Too much "pussy talk."  There are two "Juicy Pussy" stores in this book, one for women, and one for men.  Let's face it, the more a man writes the word "pussy," the more ambivalent he is about his sexuality.  Except for Philip Roth, who is brilliant beyond all this, and, besides, is too ugly to be considered gay, anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                           But back to the book. It is readable, but not great.  It is not really bratty, but the reason it so perfectly ends my project is it gives an inside look as to what would happen if New York, city of all spoiled brats' dreams, actually fell apart.  Where would we go?  What would we do?  What new communities would be formed out of the ones having been formed here, now that they are dispersed?  What would civilization be like?  Would culture still exist?  Though not nearly as bleak as Cormac McCarthy's "The Road," it poses similar questions.

                                            Since the books deals with the end, or downfall, of New York City, it is a perfect spot to end the Brat Pack project.  As for Gary, I hope he keeps on writing.  I like the way he thinks, and takes risks, using varying literary techniques.


                                             On to more fun reading, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                            Lenny's and Eunice's correspondence raises these questions for the reader, giving one something to think about, should things go down here.  And especially in these times.....

                                             But it is still a love story. And, in the end, love triumphs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: