Followers

Thursday, November 30, 2017

The Dream Of Playing The Winter Garden Has, Obviously, Never Left Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                               Hey, I haven't shared a dream on here, lately, and like most of the nicer ones, it was about the theater.  Though, having recently listened to the Broadway "Sound Of Music" children from 1959 sing the title song, I thought one of my dreams would be ending up on stage as one of them--hopefully as Kathy Dunn as Louisa, or the late Marilyn Rogers as Brigitta.

                                The Winter Garden, until "CATS," always stood for quality.  The record is still unblemished--BARBRA played there in "Funny Girl," in 1964, Angela Lansbury was "MAME" in 1966, Sondheim's "Follies" opened there in 1971, and Liza did a stint there around 1973, or 1974.

                                 So, the bar is still high.  Hence, my dream.

                                  I was walking along the street, behind the Winter Garden, where I saw the stage door.  Now, I know, in reality, "School Of Rock" (ugh!) is still playing there, but in my dream the place was empty.  I saw a worker lounging around, told him my obsession, asking if I could walk onto the Winter Garden stage, and just stand there, gazing out for awhile.  This being a dream, my request was granted, and the next thing I knew I was walking through the stage door.

                                  I emerged on the left side of the orchestra, and took a seat in front, positioning myself, like BARBRA at the opening of "Funny Girl," and said, with enough resonance to echo throughout the theater,  "Hello, Gorgeous!"  Then, with the Holidays coming up, and, with all the timing of a seasoned trouper, stood backstage right, as the Overture to "MAME" played mentally in my head.  When it was over, I entered from stage right, and, as soon as I hit the performing area, began singing "MAME's" opening number, "St. Bridget."

                                  That done, I stood center stage, stared out, and even though the house has a 1,532 seating capacity, up on stage, it did not seem large, at all.  Of course, it was empty.

                                   I then followed up with "The Music That Makes Me Dance," from "Funny Girl."

                                   And then I woke up. so sorry, I did not have time to do something from "Follies."

                                  But now, I can say that I have played the Winter Garden!

                                   Or can I?

                                   If only life could sometimes be a dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: