Followers

Thursday, November 16, 2017

The Opening Night Of Two Disparate Musical Theater Classics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                            As a true child of the Aquarian age, girls, I have to wonder, what in the world was in the stars, on this date?  Not only the birthdays of Donna McKechnie and Martha Plimpton, but on this night, 22 years apart, "The Sound Of Music," and "Merrily We Roll Along" opened on Broadway.

                            "The Sound Of Music," came first, in 1959, at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre.  I wish I could have seen this beautifully designed (from photos I have seen) production, as well as the Original Children, (whose names I know--Laurie Peters (Liesl), William Snowden (Friedrich). Kathy Dunn (Louisa), Joseph Stewart (Kurt), Marilyn Rogers (Brigitta; unfortunately deceased, and also the original Amaryllis in 1957's "The Music Man"), Mary Susan Locke (Marta) and Evanna Lien (Gretl) not to mention, as I have been told by so many who witnessed it, that climactic moment at the end of Act One, where Patricia Neway hits the final note on "Climb Ev'ry Mountain," holding it, as the music swells, and the chandeliers above actually shook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              Of course, "The Sound Of Music" was a hit.  And we all know what happened when it transferred to the screen.  And, yes, I still want to be Angela Cartwright and Heather Menzies!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                "Merrily We Roll Along" became a different kind of hit--one embedded in theater folks' hearts.  The original production, which I saw twice, tanked during its run at the then Alvin (now Neil Simon) Theatre, but I am telling you, here and now, no matter how many productions of it I see, and the Original Cast Recording proves it, never was this score so gloriously sung, or has been, since back in 1981.

                                   Ann Morrison and Lonny Price!  I love you!  And Mary-Rose Wood!  And Manna (did I get that right?) Allen.  I hope you all gather for drinks tonight, and remember.  And, please have one for me.  All of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     For the rest of us, the thing to do on this day is watch "Best Worst Thing That Ever Could Have Happened," which is to this show what "Every Little Step" is to "A Chorus Line."
Anyone who wants to know what experiencing the original 'Merrily' was like, should see this film.

                                       On the perfect day to watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                       Happy Anniversary, "Sound Of Music," and "Merrily We Roll Along!"

                                        Dreams don't die, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: