Followers

Thursday, November 16, 2017

"What Is The Gayest Thing You Have Ever Done???????????????"


                             I was actually asked this question, several years ago, while having lunch with the author and Musical Theater Instructor, Joel Derfner, whom I am sure is still out there.  Hey, if I can write this blog continuously for ten years, I am sure Joel is still out there, fighting the good fight.

                              We dined at The Riviera Café, where I met my beloved David.  Now, that place no longer exists, a sad relic of a city I once was proud of, in my youth.  And especially, during my spinsterhood, there were places where the lonely could go.  Not so much, anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                During the meal, Joel mentioned having run a contest on the question of what was the gayest thing an entrant did.  I forget what he offered as a prize, but, at the time, I did not know of the contest, so I did not enter.  Because, if I had, I would have won!

                                   Here goes---

                                   Anyone on here, or who knows me personally, knows my all-time favorite movie is "The Wizard Of Oz."  Yes, there is plenty of mention, on here, of "Gone With The Wind," or "The Song Of Bernadette," which are favorites, but not THE favorite.

                                    "The Wizard Of Oz" is special because it was the first full length, live action film I actually sat through.  And was spellbound by.  I grew up with TV from birth, but, hey, considering my age--4 or 5--it was only natural I was dawn to cartoons, especially "Early Bird Cartoons," which used classical music that I learned to recognize, and had the wildest, surrealistic imagery this side of Lewis Carroll. Or William Tenniel.

                                      My mother, especially, was insistent I watch something that was "real," meaning it had real people in it.  "The Wizard Of Oz" was certainly an odd choice, but, boy, it was a turning point, in my life.

                                       Now, you have to understand, this was years before I could read, and had really gotten into film history, or the Judy Garland mystique.  When the film began, I could not read the credits, so all this singing and chanting, I did not understand.  When was it going to start?

                                         Suddenly, a little girl and a dog ran down a Kansas road.  I asked my mother who that was, and she said, "Dorothy."  For the next two hours, I said not a word.

                                          The film held me.  I wish I could say I was blown away by hearing "Over The Rainbow," that first time, but, truthfully, I wasn't.  I had not developed my artistic appreciation yet. It took several years, and now, of course, I sob tremulously, every time this part comes on.  And this is after at least  75 viewings.

                                           Back then, the one I most identified with was--are you ready?--the Witch!!!!!!!!!!!!!   That's right!  She had that huge, dark castle, which I loved, guards and monkeys to  serve her--I loved that, too, so what does that say, about me?????--and could fly on a broom.  I knew, even then, that broom travel, if possible, was better than a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                             Which leads to the answer to the question posed.  The next morning, having been especially captivated by that moment when the Witch flies out of the castle, on that broom, crying, "To the Emerald City, as fast as lightning!"  Well, the next morning, I got up, and, with my toy broom, would mount the back part of one of our love seats, which was wide enough for me to walk across. I would repeatedly run along it, fast as I can, mount my broom, call out the Witch's line, and try to fly.  I swear, there was one time, where, I thought, I was air borne, for several seconds.

                                               Of course, this drove my poor mother crazy, and, in time, I stopped.

                                                To think this is what commenced my pursuit of the arts, which took me all over the place; especially, of course, to New York.

                                                   Eventually, my artistic side set in, and I stopped identifying with the Witch.

                                                    But I still occasionally bitch on here, dolls!

No comments: