Followers

Monday, November 20, 2017

An Appointment To See Santa, At Macy's??????????? Are You Kidding Me?????? This Is Going Too Far!!!!!!!!!!


                                 This is all extremely ironic, following how closely it does on the heels of my having read David Sedaris' "Santaland Diaries."

                                   Remember the scene in the 1947 classic, "Miracle On 34th Street,"  (the sacred black-and-white version, not the bastadized color one) where the little Dutch girl approaches Edmund Gwenn, and the touching exchange they have, which transitions Natalie Wood into belief?  It is the first time in the film where I cry real tears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    Well, with Macy's merchandising techniques today, that poor, loving, innocent child would be left out in the cold!  Because, now, for the first time in history, in order to see Santa at Macy's, you have GOT to have an appointment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      I say, "You have got to be kidding?"   In a town where Upper East Side mothers actually fellate headmasters, to get their darlings into the right private school,(it was dramatized in a "Law And Order SVU" episode) parents are practically going to have to do this and more, just to get a spot to see Santa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                        Hey, I am The Raving Queen, and I want to sit on Santa's lap!  Especially if Santa is Stephen Colbert, Andrew Keenan-Bolger, Beck Bennett, or Chris Elliot!!!!!!!!!  Even Chris Meloni--Yoweeeeee!  But you are telling me I have to get an appointment?????

                                         It's just Santa, not a hair makeover, at Sally Hershberger's!  That I can understand!  Parents and kids alike are stressed enough as it is, before and during the Holidays!  Why  does Macy's insist on making it worse????????????

                                          There is another scene in the 1947 film, where an administrator boasts how Macy's has always been "the friendly store,  the one with a heart!"  Well, honey, I am telling you, those days are gone!

                                            Now, it says parents and children have to make an appointment, but what about dogs??????????????????????

                                             Maybe I can sail right in, with Cujo, Chloe, Mellow, Nia, , Indiana Jones, and my lovely cockatoo friend, Bacci.

                                              Stick it up. good and deep, Macy's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Victoria said...

Hmm, weird and depressing.
I never really did the Santa thing with my children.
I did smile when he kicked Ralphie down the slide though

The Raving Queen said...


I would love to Santa's lap...if it
were Stephen Colbert, Beck Bennett, ot
Chris Elliot!

Videolaman said...

As a child I was always terrified of visiting Santa in the department stores. My family had to drag me, kicking and screaming.

Ironic, because as an adult my favorite thing to do is sit in lap of a nice jolly bear, rub his tummy, and tell him what I want...

The Raving Queen said...


Like the line in "Annie Hall" goes, "Even
Freud speaks of a latency period. As a child,
I was just the opposite. Even then, I craved
the spotlight.