Followers

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Philip Bosco Was An Actor's Actor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                 I remember, back in the Seventies, being seduced by the TV ad for "The Threepenny Opera" at Lincoln Center's Vivian Beaumont, with Raul Julia.  So much so that I went into the city, and purchased a ticket.  But I did not see Raul Julia in the role of Macheath.  He had left the show before I could get to it.  Instead, I saw someone I had never heard of--Philip Bosco.

                                   And he was wonderful.

                                  That was back in 1977.  Once the "Law And Order" franchise hit the tubes, every time I would turn my head, there would Philip be.  He was a Working Man's Actor, never an A-lister, but one who was known by those of us who admired craft. He went from stage to film to TV effortlessly.  I also had the pleasure of seeing him as the father in "The Heiress," with Cherry Jones, back in 1995, wherein he just about eclipsed Ralph Richardson in the 1949 film.

                                   And how I would have loved to have seen him, ten years later, in the musical "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang," a show I thought had potential for musical stage adaptation, but which closed before I could get to it.

                                     Philip Bosco was one of those actors, like Lois Smith, who are not in plenty today, but for us watching them is like taking a Master class.  Lois is still at it, thank God!

                                      Alas, he died December 3, 2018, at the age of 88, from complications due to Alzheimer's.  He was a Jersey boy, born in Jersey City, NJ, on September 26, 1930.

                                        Besides all the work he did, he and his wife, Nancy Ann Dunkle, who survives him, managed to create and raise a total of seven children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                         Philip did it all, darlings!  A true gentleman of the theater!!!!!!!!!!!

                                         Rest In Peace, Philip!  And may Broadway dim its lights for you!

No comments: