Followers

Saturday, December 29, 2018

This Makes Book No. 102!!!!!!!!!!! Will I Clock In There? Or, Will I Make It To 103???????????????


                                          Only time will tell, dolls.  While I would like to make it to 103--higher is always better--I would not mind 102, as that was the precise age of my father, upon his passing, this past February 12.

                                           But what about "Spoonbenders?"  I have had my eye on this book all year, and, now it is in paperback, I sat down and read it.  One reviewer compared it to Michael Chabon, and I can see why.

                                            It is also a family saga.  Specifically, the Telemachuses, a Greek collection of prestidigitators, (although their mother, Maureen's, maiden name was McKinnon) who, at one point, were all the rage, with media fame, until they were shamed on "The Mike Douglas Show."  The novel goes back and forth between that time and the present, revealing who was the most powerful, the tragic death of Maureen, and a secret involving the family and the government that continues to plague them up to the present.

                                              Each chapter is told from the perspective of a specific character; Irene was my favorite.  Though under 500 pages, the novel has a compelling family sweep that offers insight into not only this family, but where the nation was during said specific times.

                                               It has just a sprinkling--just THAT--of Salinger, in that the Telemachuses briefly reminded me of the Glass family, but minus the childish precocity.

                                                 Darryl Gregory is unknown to me, but his ability to steer this character and narrative driven story shows great promise, and I will be curious to see what he follows this up with.

                                                   Whether it is your first book of the new year, or the last of this old, "Spoonbenders" is recommended reading.

                                                      As for me, I will keep plugging until the ball drops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

102 would be kind of perfect.

The Raving Queen said...


And 102 it is!
Happy New Year, Victoria!