Followers

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Happy Birthday, Baayork!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                   I know, girls, I know, it has been several weeks since I saw "A Chorus Line," at City Center, and I wrote about it.  But, I am telling you, if there is one day the show should play in New York, it is tonight.

                                    Because today is the birthday of the show's running engine, Baayork Lee.  She is 72, and indefatigable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      Happy Birthday, Baayork!  She originated the role of Connie Wong--that "peanut on pointe!'--back in 1975, was Michael Bennett's dance captain, and has gone on to administer to almost all companies of the show.  Baayork is like Santa Claus; she looks in on everyone, but when she is there, you had better be on your toes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                        Baayork's Boot Camp, which warms performers up for the show, is something I, as a non "Chorus Liner" would love to experience. She also operates the "Cassie Camp," where the dancer playing that role learns it step by step.

                                        I wish someone would teach me all this, so I could step in for Baayork, if needed. My love of the show, having seen it 40 plus times, and my attention to every line and lyric, could only be broadened by learning the steps.  Even if I am in my Sixties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                           I am sure, if needed, Baayork could step out in some company tonight, as Connie Wong!  But I hope she has a fabulous birthday, and knows how much she is loved by all in the theater community; even those, like myself, on its periphery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                             Happy Birthday, Baayork, and many more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: