Followers

Friday, December 27, 2019

A Black Day For Musical Theater, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                  The dates on Jerry Herman's obit photo read July 10, 1931, to December 26, 2019.  He died in Miami from pulmonary complications.  He was 88.

                                    But that is not what he was known for.  He wrote my favorite musical, "MAME," not to mention classics like "Hello, Dolly!" and "La Cage Aux Folles!"  I actually saw and owned on disc "The Grand Tour," I cherished the Original Cast recording of "Dear World," an adaptation of The Madwoman of Chaillot" with Angela Lansbury--who won a second TONY, right after "MAME," for her performance in it.

                                      I was saddened to hear of his passing.  And I certainly hope, in days to come, the Broadway community thinks of dimming the lights, in his honor. Where would we be were it not for Jerry Herman???????????????????

                                       From the time I first heard it, the Overture to "MAME" was the most rousing epitome of a Broadway style overture I ever heard, and I could think of no better selection to show off Herman's writing style than this instrumental piece.

                                         I mean, girls, when was the last time musical theater got us this excited????????????????

                                           Now, I am obligated to see the "Mack And Mabel" at ENCORES! in February!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                            Rest In Peace, Jerry Herman!  And "Open A New Window!!!!!!!!!!!!"

No comments: