Followers

Friday, December 20, 2019

Let's Talk Books, Girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                     Today, I shall deal with what The New York Times chose as their "Five Best Works Of Fiction."  Here are their selections--but what I thought of them

                                     1. "Lost Children Archive," by Valeria Luiselli--As posted on 3/16/19--" 'Lost Children Archive's'....form and structure is that of an archival box.  This is a multi-layered tale of an American family , present day, seeking out Arizona Indian material, in Arizona.  And when the children get lost--or do the flee? I leave that to you--their journey is as thrilling as anything in this book.  As is their capacity for resilience and survival.

                                           Verdict--Worth the time, but not one of the year's best!

                                                                                 
2, "Disappearing Earth," by Julia Phillips--As posted on 7/16/19--" 'Disappearing Earth,' Julia Phillips' fist novel, is hard to describe.  It starts out with a pair of pre-pubescent sisters, Aloya and Sylvia, living in a remote Russian peninsula, being abducted by a sicko.  The time span of the novel is a year, wherein the reader is given investigatory updates, insights into other characters, and the social mores of the community, and their class differences.  It takes the reader awhile to realize what Phillips is doing,  This novel aims high, and succeeds."

 Verdict--I so wanted to include this on my list.  But, with what I had already, there was just no room.

3 "The Topeka School," by Ben Lerner--As posted on 11/30/2019--"It does have potential.  The word 'school' in the title refers as much to schools of thought, as the building itself.  Lerner's thinking is muddled.  He does not successfully connect together all the ideas he is sending out, and his views on toxic masculinity seem mixed--is he for, or against?....I imagine Lerner himself is some sort of hetero, chest pounding, gorilla."

 Verdict--Greatest writer of his generation?  Are you kidding?

One of the best?  Not at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. "Night Boat To Tangier," by Kevin Barry--As posted on 12/3/19--"While the book is gritty as hell--two retired, down and out Irish drug dealers/addicts waiting for said boat of title, muse on their lives, in a style that is verse like and recalls Samuel Beckett--its strength is also its brevity. Mr. Barry should be congratulated on his achievement.  I recommend this for lovers of serious, and satisfying fiction.

Verdict-- Of all the books The Times chose, this is the one I felt most deserved it.  And "Disappearing Earth," with some reservations.

5. 'Exhalation," by Ted Chiang--As posted on 12/12/19--"The three days it took me to read this book seemed like three weeks.  The time I spent reading these nine stories felt like I was studying for an exam in one of my least favorite subjects.  The text is like a Physics book, structured around stories.  Still, be grateful to me, girls!  I saved you the trouble of reading this dreck!"

So, there you have it--my assessment of what The Times chose as the "Five Best Works Of Fiction."  I did not think much of what they chose overall.  Still, I urge you to consider the Phillips and Barry novels.

Mine will better, as should be seen tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Reading, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: