Followers

Saturday, December 28, 2019

Death Of A Working Actress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                The obit dates read November 1, 1941, to December 14, 2019.

                                 Pamela Payton-Wright was a member of what is fast becoming a vanishing breed--the working actress.  That is, one who is not internationally known, but never ceases to stop working, and never forsaking the integrity of her craft.  Just like her good friend, Blythe Danner.

                                   When I think of Pamela, I think of her onstage at Circle-In-The-Square on Broadway.  If one goes in their lobby, which is adorned with photos of past productions, most of which featuring Pamela herself.  Though she did many of the standard playwrights' works, my association with her is Tennessee Williams.  I saw her do a wonderful Miss Judith Fellows, ("Charlotte!  You defied me!  You DELIBERATELY defied me!") holding her own with the great Grayson Hall, as the repressed lesbian school mistress, in "The Night Of The Iguana."  Years later, in Williams' "Garden District," I saw Payton-Wright and Myra Carter perform the Act One opener, "Something Unspoken.," where two affluent New Orleans women discuss everything over breakfast accept that which is what Williams makes clear--that they are in a lesbian relationship.

                                      She did television work, more times than I can count, and I am sure she was on her share of "Law And Orders."  But Pamela Payton-Wright will best be remembered among theater folk as a working actress.

                                        Rest In Peace, Pam!  Would that there were more of your kind still around!

No comments: