Followers

Friday, June 30, 2023

Did We Have Fun With The 'Fiend,' Darlings????????????????????


                             On another viewing of 1958's "Fiend Without A Face," I noticed several similarities to  several British-made Fifties sci-fi'ers, such as "The Crawling Eye," last week's "Curse Of The Demon," and "The Quatermass Experiment," known in America as "The Creeping Unknown." All these films show the monster very late, sometimes to the point of almost not at all, and in some ways this would have been better.  Especially in the case of "Fiend Without A Face."



                                What the viewer gets, after over an hour of tedium, are walking cerebellums.  I mean, first of all, the title is singular, and there are plural monsters.  Secondly, they are so funny, especially when they split open and raspberry jam comes out.  I am still wondering how much of the budget constituted the raspberry jam.


                                  Only the last fifteen or twenty minutes make this a laugh riot.  If "Svengoolie" shows it again, and newcomers are curious, I suggest you wait an hour, and then just see the riotous nonsense


                                  In that case, the "Fiend Without A Face" might become a friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

That had to be the most odd "monster" idea I'd ever seen!!!!! I was going to say something, but,I don't know where my mind went....

The Raving Queen said...

Mistress Maddie,
I know, it is hard to believe, it is so ludicrous.
Good thing it was filmed in black and white; its fakery
would have been made even more apparent.

Victoria said...

I didn’t see it, but you know what, I remember reading a book like that.
That was back when I would finish a book no matter how bad it was!!
Now, I’ll give a book a chance but if it doesn’t have me by the third chapter I’m moving on to the next!!!
Who has the time!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I am with you. I used to finish everything, even if I hated it.
But too little time now, so if I find myself not wanting to pick up
the book and keep on reading, I stop.