Followers

Monday, May 28, 2018

Time To Deal With This, Head On!


                         A bit of background, for those who have not been on here long.

                         Back on January 6, 2015, ID had a program called "A Stranger In My Home."  On that night they broadcast the story of air traffic controller coworkers Bob Peterson and Gene Thurnau, which culminated in Bob murdering Gene.  It was horrifying and tragic.

                          I referred to this incident in my post as "A Gay Fatal Attraction."  Much of the negative feedback I received for this earlier post centered, I believe, on how I wanted to understand more the machinations of Bob--it was enough for many to brand him simply as a psycho--or maybe these folk just could not accept that a "Fatal Attraction" situation could occur beyond that of a man and a woman.  For those darlings, I have news--it can!!!!!!!!!!  Two men, two women, (look at the films "Single White Female," or "Heavenly Creatures," if you doubt me!) and, as has been seen over time, especially recent times, between teens and even children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                           So, get off your duffs!  It is not strictly a heterosexual, adult thing!!!!!!

                           Now.

                           What was interesting to me, was that "The Killer Beside Me" focused more on Bob's psychosis, rather than his sex orientation.  It was mentioned, to be sure, but I am sure, if Bob already had a skewered psychological chemistry, as I believe he did, then his sexual orientation would not matter.

                             But societal pressures, in places outside of Metropolitan areas, make it a matter of concern, which is why I feel it should be added to the equation in assessing Bob.

                             Still. I learned several things from this broadcast.

                             I did not know Bob had transferred himself to the same place Gene did, in Florida. Nor did I know their association started in Nebraska.

                              Same with Bob purchasing the same truck as Gene.  News to me.  I have to say,  were I Gene, that would have been a red flag.

                                Gene had family in Florida, so wanting to go there made sense.

                                 Bob had a brother, Anthony, living in Florida. He knew Bob was gay, seemed OK with it, and the brothers seemed to have an amicable relationship.  So Bob was not as alone and estranged, as I first thought.

                                  I credit Jaye Jaye with sensing when things began turning peculiar, but not figuring out why.  Detractors say I might blame she and Gene for being straight. I do not; homosexuality just did not figure in their social lives.  Nor did the idea of being stalked by an
obsessive.  Unfortunately, many don't realize the latter situation until it has gotten too far!

                                   I am not a mental health professional.  I don't claim to be.  Bob's unfulfilled homosexuality was part of his psychic mix, but seeing this program, I believe he also suffered from BPD--Borderline Personality Disorder.  Though this is more common in women, men are not immune to it.  It is what Glenn Close's character, Alex, suffered from in "Fatal Attraction;" what I once heard her say bears this case out--People like these (Alex and Bob) are self-destructive, and ultimately kill themselves."

                                  Which was the case here.  Yes both dead men are victims.  But are so the families of them, on whose lives this cannot help but have an impact.

                                     I urge compassion for all.  That includes Gene. And that includes Bob.

                                     I stand by what I say.

                                    "The Killer Beside Me" gave a more insightful accounting, but I still want to know more about Bob's back story!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     Put that in your pipe, and smoke  it, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Kathi L. said...

I discovered your very entertaining blog after watching The Killer Beside me and finding myself wondering about Bob Peterson's back story, too. So much is missing in all that violence and craziness and much of it has to do with Bob. Eight years he sort of stalked and obsessed about Gene, could that be the reason Gene decided to leave and relocate to Florida? Did he know? Or was it all just fantasy on Bob's part? One can't help but wonder what finally caused the man to brutally murder and mutilate the man he thought he loved. We'll never know but I still believe Gene was the only victim there. He was murdered by a man who had no reason to do something so terrible which makes his past fascinating because there is the hope of the WHY being discovered someplace that could help us to understand him. Maybe then it would be easier to consider him a victim in this tragedy.

The Raving Queen said...


Kathi,
Welcome. I will do a Welcome
post for you, shortly.

You raise some interesting points,
especially about Gene moving to Florida.
But the show made things clear--he wanted
a change, his marriage was finished, and he
wanted to be with his family, most of whom
were down there,

I think this was all fantasy and projection
on Bob's part. What's scary is that on some
level Bob knew how it would end, because he
told Gene, when giving him the letter, that he
could not say what was in it out loud. And he
arrived at the Thurnaus with a gun. So, he knew
the possibility of things not working out was real,
and he had sort of already decided what he would do,
should that happen. So, there was some premeditation
here. Mental illness played the biggest part--which
is why I want to know Bob's back story. And lastly--
and I say this from experience--if Bob knew he was
gay, and he did, he should have sought out work in
a more gay friendly locale, like NYC, NOLA or SF.
Everyone at work liked Bob, but he was not going
to find gay companionship there. Maybe, but he
was not stable enough to hang in there.

I feel sorry for Bob, Gene, and both their
families.

ILUVAMYSTERY said...

Yes I feel Bob’s backstory would be helpful. Not to excuse his behavior, but to understand it.

I think Bob’s sexual orientation caused him much rejection & even persecution in life. Then he met Gene. Gene showed him the love of friendship. And Bc of this, in his vulnerable state he fell in love with Gene.

When Gene divorced & moved, Bob followed him. Now that Gene was divorced, maybe he had a shot. That could explain why he went to a state that wasn’t very gay friendly. He loved Gene. To him that was reason enough.

I think the beginning of the end was the entrance of Jay Jay. Bob was jealous & felt a sense of betrayal. His instinct to fight for his love kicked in. He made sure to find reasons to be around. He was extra helpful like buying their house to make it easier for them to build.

Despite this, he saw Gene moving forward with Jay Jay. First dating then marriage. Now a baby journey! And that was the final nail in the coffin. He was being phased out. This caused him desperation and he felt it’s now or never to let Gene know his true feelings.

He was adamant that it HAD to be THAT night. Had Jay Jay stayed she would probably be dead. After all, SHE was the interloper in this union in Bob’s mind. Once she was gone it was the perfect time to tell Gene. Now what happened next can only be surmised. But I think by this time, Bob was so desperate to hold onto Gene, it really didn’t matter how Gene said this can’t be. Nicely. Angrily. Apologetically. All of them meant the same to Bob. Rejection. And he snapped.

Yes of course he had mental issues We have all felt rejected by someone at one time or another. But we do not kill them. We have the coping skills that Bob lacked. He may have been born that way, yes, with a personality disorder. He may have become that way from abuse. It might have been a combination. No one knows Bc he didn’t live to tell what he was feeling. Does this excuse him? No. But it can perhaps help us understand what might have been lurking in his mind.

I do think Bob showed some clear red flags along the way. But unfortunately they were missed. The bottom line is there were no winners that night. Not Gene. Not Bob. Not Jay Jay. Not their families. Everyone lost.

The Raving Queen said...

ILuvAMysterry,

Thank you for a cogent insightful
examination of the situation. I agree
with you completely, especially there
being no winners here. Poor Jay Jay.
She had the pieces, just could not fit
them together. Had she been able, maybe
this would not have happened.