Followers

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Who Knew The Bride Of Frankenstein Was A Fag Hag, With Raging Hormones???????????????????


                               For some odd reason unbeknownst even to me, girls, I had an urge to watch the castle explode, at the end of "The Bride Of Frankenstein."  But I had forgotten what preceded it, having not seen this film for a long time.

                                What irony.  Casting tiny little Elsa Lanchester, so campy in the opening sequence, where she plays Mary Shelley, as the tallest bride in Hollywood.  Sure, she is a monster, sure she was assembled from dismembered body parts, but, while she is no Blythe Danner, she came out looking more glam than Karloff did, as the Monster.  I mean, that make-up, and that hair style. I will never understand why Elsa Lanchester's hairstyle  in this film did not become as iconic or imitated, by 1930's film audiences, as Shirley Temple's curls.  This film was made in Shirley's prime; it is too bad they were not teamed up, in a film!!!!!!!!!  I guess the negotiations were too difficult between 20th Century-Fox and Universal.

                                 Now, Elsa Lanchester, off screen, was married to Charles Laughton, a big old queen, himself, who was into things I don't even want to discuss on here.  So, it is kind of funny to see, that, as the Bride, while we do not know her intellectual prowess,  did have hormones and taste enough  to reject the Monster, which is heartbreaking, showing, instead she has the hots for the handsomer Colin Clive!!!!!!!!!!!  She knew what was what dolls!!!!!!!!!!  But don't forget Colin, off screen, was at least bisexual, I think, and in the previous film, it was clear that he and the hunchback, Fritz (played by the great Dwight Frye) had a Master-Slave relationship, with Victor Frankenstein bottoming out for Fritz, once they were out of the lab.

                                      So, the Bride, like Elsa, was a big, old Fag Hag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     As for Ernest Thesiger, as Doctor Praetorious, don't get me started.  He obviously came out of some European underground Theater Of Sensuality.  Maybe this would turn out to be the circus Joan Crawford runs, thirty years later, in "Berserk!"

                                      It would not surprise me one bit.  I was surprised how sensible in taste the Bride was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     She knew handsome, when she saw it!  Just like us, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Victoria said...

Have you read her book, Elsa Lanchester Herself.

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
Actually, we had the book at
my workplace. I never got the
chance to read it. Is it worth
it?

Victoria said...

Yes! You'd like it, I think!

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
Thanks for the heads up. I
will let you know, once I
read it!

Kathi L. said...

I'm a huge fan a Charles Laughton's and he was a great actor and director. He was unfairly maligned by a miserable human being who made up filth about movie stars who were no longer alive and able to defend themselves against his lies. I was guessing that was the reference you made to Charles Laughton. I really hate it that his memory has been tarnished by Scotty Bowers nasty made up fantasies.

The Raving Queen said...


Kathi,
I too loved Laughton as an
actor and director. "The
Night Of The Hunter" is one of
my favorite films, and extremely
frightening. Too bad he did not
get a chance to direct another film.

Now, I don't know who Scotty Bowers is.
But I have always heard Laughton was into
the scatological. That's as far as I will
go. I have no proof, but your certainity
gets to me. Why would this guy Bowers
want to malign Laughton and others?