Followers

Monday, August 14, 2017

The Many Phrases Of Barbara Cook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                              Notice, darlings, I said "phrases," and not "phases."

                              The voice, and its phases, have received more tributes this past week, including yours truly, and I concur with them all.  Others with better, more accomplished voices than I have written about her glorious sound, and brilliant technique, and, again, I concur.

                                But I would like to share some personal phrases that, for me, defined Barbara Cook's artistry.  No one else could give the following the moving vibrancy that Barbara Cook did.

                                 1. "Candide" (1956)--In "Make Our Garden Grow," when she first comes in, with, "I thought the world was sugar cake./Or so, our Master said.  OH. MY. GOD!

                                 2.  "The Music Man" (1957)--It took me years to realize "Good Night, My Someone" was the same melody as "Seventy-Six Trombones," because Cook's voice just stopped my breath on, "Our star is shining its brightest light."  Also "I wish they may, and I wish you might."  Tears are streaming down my face, as I write this, I can hear her so clearly in my head.

                                  3. "She Loves Me"--Just about every note or lyric of this show is breathtaking.  But the height of Barbara Cook's Amalia comes early, in the song "No More Candy."  Listen to how she sings the last line, "In a way, it's a little like the voice.....of....God."  It just touches the heart.

                                  4. "Show Boat" (1966)--With Barbara, the best revived Magnolia.  The operatic romanticism of the piece is expressed impeccably when she sings, in "Make Believe," "The game of just supposing is the sweetest game I know. /Our dreams are more romantic than the world we see."
Anyone's rendering of this phrase pales beside hers.

                                   5. "The Grass Harp" (1971)--Just about all of her opening number, "Dropsy Cure Weather, " but within that is a favorite set of brilliantly written lyrics that she lovingly caresses--"Pepper and Chow Chow Mustard./It's easy to get flustered."  I melt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                   6. "Stars" (1977)--This is Janis Ian's song, recorded by Cook on her 1977 solo album, "As Of Today."  Her voice and its arrangement make the whole thing a classic, but, when she gets to "But most have seen it all/ They live their lives in sad cafes and music halls," I have never heard a more plaintive explanation for the artist-audience relationship, something no one better than she knew.  Beautiful, but heartbreaking.

                                 7. " 'Follies In Concert'" (1985)--I was lucky enough to be there.  What was and still is amazing, was, while her "Losing My Mind" was flawless, she nailed "In Buddy's Eyes" in a way I have never heard anyone; even, so help me, God, Dorothy Collins, do.  When Barbara Cook sang "And all I ever dreamed I'd be....." to the end, it pierced one's very soul.

                                   I am also partial to her rendering of Judy Collins' song, "My Father."

                                   I stand by what I say.  Agree or not, the voice was phenomenal.  Listen to these selections, and discover for yourselves.  And if any of you out there have other favorites, let me know.

                                   Here is how Broadway looked, as the lights dimmed for this beloved artist.

                                   And now, throughout Eternity, Barbara Cook and Wally Harper are the hottest evening ticket, in Heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                   

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Crying now

The Raving Queen said...


Yes, the ceremony and
her work were simply beautiful.