Followers

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Darlings, I Just Want To Wear That Two Piece Halter Top Outift, And Fire A Gun, Like Sissy Spacek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                         "3 Women," one of my favorite Robert Altman films, is a dream of a movie....but just whose dream is it, and what is it a dream of?  Is it Millie Lamm
oreaux's dream, Pinky Rose's, Willie, Millie, Mildred.....or the viewer's?  The whole film has dream imagery, from the compositional shots--brilliant--of Janice Rule painting those murals in the pool, to Shelley Duvall going through her life in television commercial rhythms, completely unaware that everyone around her is oblivious to her presence.

                           Sissy Spacek, looking like she stepped from a regional production of "The Member Of The Wedding," show us that there is more than just that childish exterior to Pinky Rose,  "My name is MILDRED!," she tells Duvall at one point, and never has that name (also my mother's) been used as extensively since Joan Crawford's "Mildred Pierce," in 1945.

                             The lifestyle these two live would kill one.  The sleazy motel-like apartment complex, looking like a California version of Goat Alley, has to be seen to be believed, because this dream is a nightmare.  But Dodge City, where the hangout bar, Janice Rule and  her pool, and target practice is, not to mention a motorcycle course that is one step up from a demolition derby, is the vacation spot I want to go to, especially if I can wear Sissy's outfit.

                             Altman always called this film his version of "Persona," and it is obvious from the get-go.  It is more Americanized, and, while in Bergman, the transition was seamless and fluid, it seems to first come from what seems an attempted suicide, on Sissy Spacek's part.  I love the new Pinky; she is so exciting and fun.  But then, she subtly reverts back to what she was, like in the scene where Willie is having her baby, and, in the final scene, all have morphed into something else--all extensions  of their true selves.

                             As for the disposal of Edgar, Janice Rule's sleazy, sharp shooting husband, I have no doubt Sissy's skill at target practice took care of that obstacle.

                             This is a film where the viewer relates to whom he wants to.  I totally get the childish Pinky, who is smart enough to put her panties in the fridge each night, so that they will be cool, in the morning. I swear, I actually did this for years, when I did not have air conditioning.  It makes a difference, too.  But I love the halter top, pistol packin' Pinky, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                            I wish I had the artistry of Janice Rule's Willie.  Because I know how I would paint my pool.  The bottom would be the Yellow Brick Road, extending out, with red in the background,
one length side would be a sepia toned portrait of the tornado descending on the Kansas farm, while the other length side would be the lead-up to the Emerald City.  The widths would both be rainbows against clouded, blue skies.

                             Yes, darlings, my very own "Wizard Of Oz' swimming pool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              "3 Women" was neglected at the time, but has gained in stature, over the years.  It is Duvall's best, and most glamorous, performance, and consolidated Spacek's status as an actress of note.

                               What is it about?  That is up to you, darlings!  You bring to it what you want to, which is why I just love it!  Its reality I am entirely in tune with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                Not to  mention, cooling off my panties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: