Followers

Thursday, August 31, 2017

A Possible Modern Brat Packer????????????????????????


                                 This was a strange experience, because, for me, it was one of my first what is called "senior moments."  I had read Jonathan Dee's book, "A Thousand Pardons," and enjoyed it. I have his latest, "The Locals," waiting to be read.  But I found myself, looking at the cover of "The Privileges," and wondering if I had already read it.  As I began the opening chapter, detailing the wedding of Adam and Cynthia Morey, familiarity swept over me.  I then noted its publication year, and checked my list of books read in 2011.  Sure enough, it was there!

                                  Now, not only was I reading a book I had not really intended to re-read, this was to be my break, my reward, from that tedious paper waster by Lit Brat Packer Jill Eisenstadt, called "Swell."  But, in re-reading "The Privileges," I found myself making fresh discoveries.

                                   This is a real New York novel that skewers its landscape constructively, rather than destructively.  Had "Six Degrees Of Separation" been the great play its idiotic proponents claim it to be, this is how it might have turned out.

                                      Dee calls it a family saga, and it is.  But within that structure, he forces the ask questions about them, and ourselves--Are the Moreys truly good people, or hypocrites?  Does having their volume of money solve all problems?  Does it create others?  How? And why?

                                     Dee shows being privileged is not all it is cracked up to be.  Pressures, obligations, and moral culpabilities that wouldn't figure in a lower financial life style (they don't turn up in mine, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!) do so here, and this family is forced to deal with issues so far off the mainstream they are inconceivable to most of us.   But Dee's fluid narrative skill and gorgeously structured prose--especially after what I came off of!!!!!!!!!--is refreshing, satisfying, and clarifies this type of life for those of us who will never live it.  And may not want to, after reading this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     I will leave my answers to questions posed for myself, and you to decide for yourselves.  But, coming to this as an antidote from my Lit Brat Pack project, I think I may have discovered a modern counterpart.

                                      I cannot wait to read "The Locals" now.  And wouldn't it be fun to discuss all this with John Dee, at The Odeon???????????????????????

No comments: