Followers

Monday, November 21, 2016

Disappointing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                   Am I getting jaded?  I hope not.  True, I have been on quite a role, what with "City On Fire," and then "The Nix," so I could at least be accused of being spoiled.

                                    When Khaleo Hosseini first came out with "The Kite Runner," I was taken in by the hype--until I read it.  Several years later, a second reading convinced my of its literary worth. But I refused to see the film.

                                         His next book, "A Thousand Splendid Suns," astonished me.  It as actually good--the best of the three--and I was so absorbed and moved by the story, I did not want it to end.

                                           So, I began "And The Mountains Echoed" with high expectations. Boy, was I let down.

                                            It's just the same old, same old. Two siblings separated from each other, their separate lives through the years, until they reunite at the end. Ho hum.  This is getting to be so formulaic for Mr, Hosseini he runs the danger of becoming The Literary Danielle Steel. Be sure that when his next book appears--and it will--I will not be so anxious to read it. Though the possibility exists it could still blow me away.  After all, "A Thousand Splendid Suns" did.

                                              Do your readers a favor, Mr. Hosseini.  Move on to other subject matter, or stop writing.

                                               I like my literary fiction to be the real thing, not processed Cheez-Whiz!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: