Followers

Monday, July 10, 2017

"....And The Old Men Playing Checkers, By The Trees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                            "The birds like tender babies, in your hands,
                                              And the old men playing checkers, by the trees."
                                              --Jimmy Webb, "MacArthur Park"
                                       


                                  Long before Donna Summer discoed it, this song was a part of my life; to my 12-year-old self it was the epitome of romance, and awakened something in me sexually, though I did not realize it then, with its orchestral interlude, which sent me rolling down the side hill of my house, in abandoned ecstasy.

                                    Flash forward, a half century later.  Yes, dolls fifty years later.  Having listened to the song recently, which still makes me swoon, I am forced now to ask myself--Now that I have retired, have I become one of those old men playing checkers, by the trees?  Is that what I am now reduced to?

                                     Observing over the weekend, I came across many parks, with people playing checkers.  There are still even fake cement checkerboards pressed into the pavement.  There are actually more game boards than trees, so finding a shady spot to do this is not as easy as the song would have it seem.

                                       Am I actually ready for this?????????  Do I want to be?????????  No!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                       Games are fine.  I loved them when young, and still love them now.  But I will be damned if I will be labeled as some old codger, whose days are defined by this.

                                          Personally, I would rather wear that "yellow cotton dress, foaming like a wave, on the ground around my knees."

                                          Coffee and my readers define my days, darlings!  Or, at least, kick it off!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I was going to say I like I Will Survive as well but that was Gloria Gaynor, not Donna.
But I do like that song too.

The Raving Queen said...


"I Will Survive" is a great song.
I used to play that and Carly Simon's
"You're So Vain" to get me through
bad relationship breakups.