Followers

Friday, January 8, 2016

"Hey! I'm Depraved, On Account I'm Deprived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                Remember that classic line from "West Side Story?"  I felt that way about never owning the Little Hostess Buffet, which Marx put out in 1966.  Now, I am a great hostess, darlings, but those who know realize it comes from my ability to delegate duties to others. As for setting out a candlestick, or washing a dish, forget it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                 So, I personally think it was a crime that boys were not encouraged with these toys, too.  Maybe now, those even more inept than I--I mean, real slobs--would know their way around the kitchen.

                                   As I said, I wanted to own the set, but the commercial for it was so cloying and nauseating.  This sugary voice sang a jingle I can only remember in parts, where a woman off-camera voice, would do it in tandem with a prepubescent girl--this was 1966, so I thought it might have been Debbie Turner from "The Sound Of Music," with her hair piled atop her head in a style too mature for her.  The jingle went:

                                       "Woman: Make believe silver!
                                          Girl:It's lovely!
                                          Woman: Cups and saucers, too!
                                           Girl" Divine!
                                           Woman" Fruit and glasses, candlesticks!
                                            Girl: I'm glad that it's all mine!"

                                    Girls, when that child sung that last line, the amount of greed and avarice were so palpable in that delivery that it made me instantly want to go out and buy the product.  How could I otherwise become a successful hostess???????????

                                       I am sorry I was not able to find the commercial, but if even of you recall it, or who the little girl was, please feel free to share!

                                        Boys need how to learn to host, too!  Whether they grow up  to be queens, or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: