Followers

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

"Well, How The Hell Should I Know, Eunice????????????"



                            Are these people for real?  In the far, outlying reaches of what is called America, even though it is not New York, such people exist.  I am just glad I don't have to live near them.

                              Now, remember when we were younger, and Saturday nights were fun???????  When Carol Burnett was on, I never missed an episode where they did "The Family," which featured Carol as Eunice Higgins, Harvey Korman, as her husband, Ed, and Vicki Lawrence, outstanding as Eunice's mother, Thelma Harper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              All kinds of guest stars dropped by!  I loved Betty White as Eunice's bitchy, but favored, sister, Ellen.  Ken Berry was on one, at least.  And so was Roddy McDowall, as a gay relative.  But I was young, then, what did I know?

                                And who could forget the brilliance of Tim Conway, as Mickey Hart??????????

                                 They can still be seen on YouTube.  I use it as a pick-me-up, every so often!

                                 Now, there was one thing about Eunice that cracked me up, so help me God.
   
                                  My mother had a very close friend named Edna, whom I used to call Aunt Edna, though we were not related.  Our families were close; she was like a second mother to me, and, awhile back, I did a post on here son, Marc, who is my age, and seems to have dropped out of sight.

                                   The very first time I saw Carol Burnett, as Eunice, I cried out, "Oh, my God!  She looks like Aunt Edna!"  Now, my mother might or might not have agreed with me, but she did implore me to "Never tell that to Edna!"  So, of course I did not!

                                      But, just like Fourth of July and New Years Eve, when I see Eunice, I think of Aunt Edna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                         Who was not a bit like Eunice, at all!

                                          But the ones who are should be pitied. They don't know how trapped their existences are.

                                           And that is what made these sketches so brilliant. They were played for comedy, but, if directed differently, they could come out like something out of William Inge.  Or "August:Osage County."

                                             But we just love Eunice and Mama, no matter what!  I would LOVE to play Mama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Little Baby Jade said...

I LOVE Mama's Family. Eunice is the best. I like that eye thing she does.

The Raving Queen said...


Little Baby Jade,

Yes, I like that eye thing, too!
Burnett is brilliant. And the sketches
stand the test of time!