Followers

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Who The Hell Is Michael Usry, Jr.?????????????????????????????



                               The other evening, I was watching a program about the June 13, 1996 murder of teenager Angie Dodge.  She was found, murdered, in her Idaho Falls apartment, in Idaho.  I sort of dozed thorough some of this--I was resting up for "Carousel," dears--so I did not see enough to give my take on who might have done it.  As Baby Gojira always says, "We know how these things work!!!!!!!"

                               Michael Usry, Jr., a New Orleans based filmmaker, back in 2014, turned up in a DNA search.  The first thing I asked was, what would a filmmaker be doing in Idaho? Kinda dull, dolls, compared to NOLA!!!!!!!!!!!!  Believe me, I know!!!!!!!!!!  About NOLA, I mean!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                 Angie was stabbed multiple times.  A guy named Chris Tapp was pretty much thought to be that killer.  And because Usry's DNA was in a data base, thanks to his father, who had, years before participated in a genealogy project at his local church.  And when Usry was a wild, young thing, he and his friends happened to drive through Idaho Falls around the time period of Angie's murder.

                                  I am not here to solve Angie's murder.  I am more interested in who the hell this filmmaker is, and how I can see his films.  But I will say the same thing about Angie's murder that I said about the ending of "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"--Angie's killer is someone in that area who is hiding within the mists of that town, and is able to blend in.  Be on the look out!!!!!!!!!!  And it just might be a woman.  Do not rule that one out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  Michael Usry, Jr. is a rural filmmaker, known for two films--the 2012 short, "Grasshopper," and the even more fascinating "Muderabilia."  I am telling you, darlings, I want to see both of these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
.
                                Now, maybe one reason this film has been seen so little is that it is a fifteen minute short.  Some guy goes nuts and witnesses something awful in his suburban community, decides to go on a killer rampage, while a suburban housewife tries to stop him.  Don't ask me what the title means, but at least it is not a remake of the 1957 classic, "The Beginning Of The End."
                     

Even more fascinating, to me at least, is his 2010 film "Murderabilia."  It is twice as long as "Grasshopper"--30 minutes, a whole half hour!!!!!!--and is more of a documentary than narrative film, dealing with--get this!!!!--people who hunt down and collect renowned murder weapons, or even known murder, weapons, and the vendors and dealers they come across in buying and selling them!!!!!!!!!

Now, this definitely gets my attention.  I have GOT to see this one.  Having grown up in the suburbs, I feel I have experienced "Grasshopper" already, so while it might be fun to see, I don't necessarily need to!  But "Murderabilia" is a whole different game--WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

At one point, Usry Jr. says he is not interested in murder, but his screen specialty denies it!!!!!

Hey, Mikey, can I be in your next macabre project????????????

I so wanted to show you excerpts from these two films.

But now the question begs to be asked--

Mikey, are you still out there, and what are you working on now!!!!!!!!!

Macabre aficionados such as those on here, and myself, want to know!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw this episode. I thought it was interesting because 2 serial killers have been caught using famial DNA. It really is a must see episode. This was the other side of being able to trace familia DNA to locate a killer.

The Raving Queen said...


Cora,

This episode was fascinating.
I agree it was the other side of
the DNA trope.