Followers

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

An Apology To All My Readers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                              My first apology should be to the company of "Carousel," for practically writing a post about their show and THIS, in the same breath.  But I need to correct something I said yesterday, so my abject apologies to both my readers and "Carousel-ers."

                               I stand by my statement that "Starlight Express" was one of the most disappointing theater experiences I have ever had.  That will never change, because, in over thirty years, the show has never had a Broadway revival, and I doubt it ever will.

                                 First, who would see it?  Second, who would want to perform it???????????????????

                                   Astonishingly, there are productions of it playing all over the world!!!!!!!!!   What does that say about Europe's relationship with theater?????????????

                                   But what I want to apologize for is the Broadway production, which I described as a flop!!!!!!!!!!!!  It really wasn't, dolls!  Hard as it may be now to believe, the show had an almost two year Broadway run, opening on March 15, 1987, and closing on January 8, 1989.

                                    It was not the world beaters that "CATS" and 'Phantom' became, but that is a fairly respectable run.  It cannot, in the technical sense, be called a flop.

                                     Now, if you are talking artistically, that is another matter, altogether!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: