Followers

Monday, June 18, 2018

Can You Believe This, Girls????????? Jane Krakowski! Jane Krakowski!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                         If you have been on here for awhile, girls, you know how, as a Theater Queen, I am always bemoaning not having seen one of the biggest flops of all time--"Got Tu Go Disco."  However, back in 1987, I did see a show, which, I can guarantee, will never be revived again--"Starlight Express."

                        The only interest I had in this show was based on how it was staged in London, where the ramps were all about and around the theater, with the actors sometimes skating at high speeds just inches from the heads of the audiences!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                         I was actually looking forward to this experience.  But, when I got into the Gershwin Theatre, where it had a short run, I was disgusted to see it had been reduced in scale to a proscenium sized Roller Derby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                          Big Deal!  Who cares? But the show had one other thing going for it, at the time.

                          Andrea McArdle--yes!!!!!!!!--just ten years aged out of "Annie," was in the show, playing Ashley, The Smoking Car.  I was so happy Andrea survived a Broadway childhood to work as an adult, I so wanted to see her.  Alas, as I discovered, she was out the evening I saw the show. And after seeing it, I can guess why.  I bet she was injured during the show.  This show must have had the highest amount of cast turnovers in its short lived history.

                          I don't know how I made the discovery--was it from Colbert?--but also making her debut in this production, at the time, was someone we Theater Queens have all come to know and love--Jane Krakowski.  This must have been right after she shot her bit as the babysitter in "Fatal Attraction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

                            Who knew?????????  Jane!!!!!!!!!!!!  Now, I have something to be proud of, about having seen "Starlight Express."  She played The Dining Car, and, girls, with all the ice cream and juice commercials, if I could only look like her, and do those leg splits like she did in "She Loves Me!," it would be a miracle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                               To hear Jane talk, I think she considers it a miracle she got through this show.  At the tender age of 19 or 20.  And she had some injuries during it, too.

                                  Like I said, this show will NEVER be revived again.

                                  But--

                                  If the brashness of the score were toned down to tinkling melodies of children's rhymes, and a visual concept similar to "The Polar Express" were developed, it might possibly work as an animated film or children's TV special!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    But make sure it brings back Jane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: