Followers

Thursday, June 7, 2018

My Tilt- A-Whirl Dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                            As a child, this was one of my two favorite amusement rides; the other being the Scrambler.  While small, my father would go on with me, and, if he did not enjoy it, he certainly was good at faking it.  By my teen years, of course, I would go on alone, or with friends.

                           The first thing that appealed to me was its artistry--the primary colors of red, yellow and blue.  I loved the mini banquet seats, and the speed at which the ride would ultimately whirl.  When very young, I would often want to ride again.

                            About twenty years later, I found myself at Coney Island, with my friend, Tom, aka "The Cherub."  We were both living in Brooklyn, at the time.  I told Tom how much I loved this ride, and the Scrambler, so, with me, we went on them.

                           What a difference time makes.  Tom, who is younger than I, got so sick he was retching over the side of the boardwalk.  I felt like I was going to lose my stomach contents any second, but tried something first.  I got to the concession--anyone remember "Gregory and Paul's?"--and got either a Sprite, or a Seven-Up, which I thought might settle my stomach.  It did.  But that was the last time I went on my favorite childhood rides.  I was, after all, on the far, FAR side of childhood!!!!!!!!!!!!

                            Recently, in a dream, I had an urge to ride the Tilt-A-Whirl again.  I am sure it has to do with my father's passing, but here is how it went.  David and I were at Coney, and I stated my urge to ride the Tilt-A-Whirl once more.  David refused to do so, but agreed to stand and watch, in case I should get sick.

                             What I remember is the whirling, enjoying the ride, the colors, and oddly enough, filtered onto the sound track of my dream was Carly Simon singing one of her early hits, "That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be?"

                                Huh?  The Tilt-A Whirl and Carly Simon?   Should I give it a try?

                                Maybe I should just "fly my Lear jet, up to Nova Scotia, to see the total eclipse of the sun!"

                                You didn't think I would let you get away without hearing it, now, did you??????

No comments: