Followers

Friday, June 15, 2018

Some Words On The Delacorte "Runaways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

                         I saw the revival of "Runaways" two Summers ago, at the ENCORES! City Center.  I thought it deserved a longer run, and an open revival.  So, when I heard about the gala celebrating the show's 40th Anniversary--yes, darlings, and I can verify, I saw the show, with its Legendary Original Cast, on May 13, 1978!!!!!!!!!!--I, of course, wanted to go, but how the hell was I going to get in!  And I can't do that all night in the park thing!   Oh, no, not anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                            But I have seen some footage, and I just want to say it confirms my suspicion that some of the Originals were definitely there, if not on stage, then in spirit.  In one segment of the song "Let Me Be A Kid," I distinctly saw Original Cast member David Schechter, now in his 60's, performing.  I wonder if Trini (Alvarado) or Josie (De Guzman) were there?  Could you imagine???????   Oh, my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                            Instead of doing "Twelfth Night" yet again, why wasn't this scheduled as a Delacorte offering.  If this was Oskar Eustis' decision, it is time for him to step down, because, I can see from the photos, that he is letting himself get too wild in New York, with that bushy, werewolf looking head, and all the wining and dining his barely buttoned jacket shows us he has been doing!

                             I bet the kids in the show would love to have done more performances!!!!!!!!!!!!

                             Someone give "Runaways" a permanent venue!  Its score deserves to be heard!

                             There is a video--where you can see David--on Broadway.Com.  Watch it, and learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: