Followers

Saturday, January 31, 2015

From More Highbrow, To Decidedly More Lowbrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                  On the same day we lost Colleen, girls, Rod McKuen also left us, at the age of 81!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I loved NPR's calling him "The Cheeseburger To Poetry's Haute Cuisine," because that is exactly what he was--a lowbrow poet.  Not that it stopped him from being successful.  He even wrote the music and lyrics to the song, "Jean," from "The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie."  Even I can sing that one, girls!!!!!!!!!!!

                                 Mr. McKuen, at 81, died from respiratory failure, as a result of pneumonia.  Another figure memorable to my generation bites the dust.  Now, I am no scholar of poetry; I may read Sylvia Plath, but that's something else.  But, as one who studied T.S. Eliot and such in college, even I knew McKuen was no world beater as a poet.  In fact, if you want to get picky, the true genius in the pop poetry world, who is still alive and kicking, is Leonard Cohen!!!!!!!!!  He peaks the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  Rod was a hack who caught the tenor of the times and became successful at it. He will be remembered now, but, when my generation fully passes, I wonder.

                                  Still, respects to the family, and condolences.  Rest In Peace, Rod!

                                  You made your statement, and you made it well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                     

No comments: