Followers

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Who Is The Diane In Steak Diane???????????????????


                               This is the sort of esoterica that makes me The Raving Queen.  What brought this to the forefront of my altogether sane mind was that haven of New Orleans cuisine, Galatoire's. Having a craving for their fare, if not a return visit, I perused the menu, and found one of their specialties is Classic Steak Diane.  I immediately asked my beloved to make it, if I downloaded the recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                 Steak Diane was the culinary rage of the mid-twentieth century. This would have been the fifties and sixties, when I was growing up.  Something went off in my head, and when I looked at the recipe for Steak Diane, I realized I had been eating all during my early life.

                                   My mother was an accomplished cook, but whether she knew she was going High End on these nights I cannot be sure.  As called for, it requires cubed beef steak, dipped in flour, cooked in drippings, and covered over with a gravy mushroom sauce.

                                    To answer the posted question, the Diane in the dish refers to the Goddess Of The Hunt, Diana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    This was served often in my house, growing up. Whether to appease the appearance--I mean, it looks like shit!!!!!!!!--or because my creative juices were flowing, I gave this dish, when I was quite small, around five or so, the name "Brief's Party Meat."

                                      I have no idea how I came up with this, but for the twenty more years my mother lived on Earth and cooked, she would refer to this name, if I asked what was for dinner that night.

                                        I had no idea we were being fed Steak Diane!!!!!!  I wonder if my mother or father did?????????????

                                         Maybe they were more ahead of their time than I thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                 

No comments: