Followers

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

What The Hell Is Blue Monday? And Who Needs It????????????????


                             Some marketing nut came up with the idea of this concept that the Monday of the last full week in January, which comes out to the 19th this year, is supposed to be the most depressing day of the year.  First, that is so comforting to those, like myself, who suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder this time of year. Second, what do you expect one day to do about it????????

                               It also happens to be MLK day, so I have that off. Should I spend it reading through my Sylvia Plath or Joan Didion collection??????  That would be enough to send me over the edge?  Should I watch "A Streetcar Named Desire," or, better yet, enact the final scene from it, where Blanche self-destructs?????????

                                 The idea is to do something that cheers one up on this day, which is hard enough when the weather outside is so cold it chills the bones to your marrow!!!!!!!!!!!  I mean, "The Bad Seed" is playing tomorrow night, at Chelsea Classics, with Hedda Lettuce, and MOMA is screening "Nashville" on Friday, as part of its Altman Retrospective.  I should be there but the cold is going to keep me away, I fear!  Unless there is a major thaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                   So, the hell with Blue Monday.  Maybe we should all do what Joan Didion will do on that day!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     Smoke a cigarette and drink, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: