Followers

Monday, January 12, 2015

Who Wouldn't Have Wanted To Look Like This, Even For A Day?????????????????



                               I always wondered what held up that fabulous gown Anita Ekberg wore in the iconic scene, where she trailed through the Trevi Fountain, which made so many of us want to have the same experience!  I know I did!

                                 From the moment I saw this scene, in "La Dolce Vita," the first time I saw it at New York's Cinema Village revival house, back when I was in my Thirties, nothing was more definitive.  So, it was sad to hear that Time caught up with Anita, who died yesterday at 83 in a hospital in Rome, after several illnesses, including being wheel chair bound, after having her hip broken by a collision with one of her pet Great Danes.

                                    But the glory of Anita, who was also a Miss Sweden, will be with us always, whenever that scene is screened.  But what on earth held up that gown??????????????

                                     Tennessee Williams was right. Time is the enemy of us all!

                                      Rest In Peace, Anita!  Arrivederci!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Videolaman said...

In an eerie coincidence, a few days before Ekberg passed I came across the new film (actually a remake) "Elsa & Fred," starring Shirley MacLaine as an aged flapper who drags dying neighbor Christopher Plummer thru a last fling in Rome. Specifically so Shirl can realize a lifelong ambition to recreate the Trevi Fountain scene herself.

In honor of Ekberg, I'll need to set aside time to watch it soon.

When we were teens, my cousin insisted I accompany him to EVERY screening of "La Dolce Vita" no matter when or where. One year we must have followed it from Film Forum to the Thalia to Theater80StMarks to the Regency to Symphony Space to... I lost track.

The Raving Queen said...


I have always wanted to see the Trevi Fountain for the same reason!