Followers

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Darlings, You Have Just GOT To Hear This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                            One of my favorite songs in the "Godspell" score is the haunting "By My Side," which is in the second half of the show, and which I not sure if Stephen Schwartz, who wrote the rest of the show, was  the composer of.  But the melody, and vocal blending, when you have good voices to blend, can be haunting and deeply moving.

                              I want you to look at two examples.  The first is remarkable, because I have never seen "Godspell" performed by a cast so young.  What is even more interesting is, if you listen carefully, while Mallory Bechtel sings decently on the lead, the REAL voice here--I am talking a future Jessie Mueller, darlings--is her back up, Hannah Seay.  Neither girl can be older than twelve or thirteen!  Just listen!

                               Now, the kids in the above photo are older--this was a "Godspell" done at Fordham Prep. so the kids are well into their teens.  But listen to the lead here.  She starts out on a note where you think she is going to ruin this song, then, somewhere around "Far beyond, where the horizons lie.........." out comes the most mature voice you would not suddenly expect from a teenage kid!!!!!!!!!!  It is just amazing!
The singer in  question is Elizabeth Vuksanaj. Her back up is Josephine Nguyen.
                                  I regret I could not include this video on here. But, if you go to YouTube, and type in "By My Side," "Godspell," Fordham Prep, you can listen and judge for yourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think this was done, sometime, back in 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    Just fabulous, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!














No comments: