Followers

Saturday, January 24, 2015

What In The World Happened To "The Bears?????????????????"


                    Several weeks ago, when I went with my beloved to his dental visit, I discovered, to my pleasure, that "Highlights For Children," a magazine I received in the lower grades, during the early sixties, was still being published in hard copy.  Not only that, I was delighted to find that several of my favorite features were still there.
Like "Goofus and Gallant."   I just loved them, and here they are, just as I remember them.  Now, there was a bad part of me that wanted to be Goofus, but I just could not, because he would do things,  as shown here, like be unkind to the animals.  That is something I would never do, because I love animals, still do, and you just ask the dogs, especially the Head Dog, Cujo, on 77th Street, in Brooklyn!!! I just love them, and they love me!  In fact, as far back as sixth grade, I was actually considering becoming a veterinarian. But that was before that Susan Sher, Robert Barber, and John Frankowsky ruined math and science, for me.  I won't forget, you mother fuckers!  I may be Gallant, but I guess that is the Goofus  part of me talking!!!!!!!!

Then there was "The Timbertoes."  They were a family of little wooden figures, where you could see the bolts connected to the limbs, which fascinated me.  Their purpose was to teach humanistic values through family dynamics.  I just loved them, and they were one of the first things I would turn to, when I would get my monthly issue of "Highlights."



One last thing about "Goofus and Gallant," before going on to other things, I hated Goofus for how he always mistreated animals, and, if I had known then, what I know today, I can now say, with absolute  certainty. that if an adult version of "Goofus And Gallant" was written today, Goofus would now be one of America's
 first rate serial killers!

But the strip I think I liked best of all was "The Bears."  This was also another exercise in family humanistics; however, it was easier to warm to them, as they were alive and fuzzy, while The Timbertoes, for all their sweetness, were not alive.

Being the age I was, back then, the bear I most identified with was Piddy. He was the youngest; his oldest siblings being Woozy and Poozy.  I was always struck by how the name "Pidddy" sounded like the word "pity," so, when I became old enough to learn the expression "pity party," I made it into a "Piddy Party."  Guess I was just trying to hang on to that sense of innocence and optimism, I had, up to about second grade. This was the year when I got into an argument with my second grade teacher, Mrs. Beinhower, whom I did not like, and told her, "I am a tax payer, and I demand my rights!" She was so non-plussed she didn't know what to do, so after being stunned for a solid minute, she burst out laughing.

Unfortunately, they are no longer included. They were stopped, in 1989, resurfaced briefly in 1998, and then no more!  I wonder why, and I demand them back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because, then, I believed things would be like "The Timbertoes," "The Bears." and "The Little Bear" books forever. That may not be possible, but if one looks closely in what one most treasures, one can find that things actually are still that way.

Which goes to show what "Highlights" did for me!  I am so glad it is still around, and I wish I saw more children reading it, than texting, which is only going to give them sexual dexterity, once they hit puberty. Forget about brains!

Speaking of brains, in my day, the last page of the magazine was always a series of questions called "Headwork." That was missing from the issue I looked at.  It needs to be brought back.

"Highlights" was a highlight of my childhood. I wonder for how many of us ex-children out there, it was for you, too????????????

Such innocence, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




No comments: