Followers

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Most Heartbreaking "Cold Case" Of All--"A Dollar, A Dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

                               This was a real gem of a discovery when I first found it during my conscious period earlier in the year to watch every single episode of "Cold Case"--156, to be exact-- and write about those outstanding ones I had not covered before.  Which is how I found "A Dollar, A Dream."

                                 Paula Malcomson gave an Emmy caliber performance in the black-and-white portions of the story (a brilliant move to shoot the portions this way!) of a modern day Fantine, forced to resort to just about everything to protect her two daughters (superbly played by Darcy Rose Byrnes, as Abby and Channing Nichols as Natalie) from the painful reality of their situation, which was homelessness.

                                This certainly pressed my buttons, as this is one of my worst fears.  Marlene's story worked two ways--it aired the plight of the homeless, and the need in this country to help, but Holmes Osborne's performance as delusional Vincent Hopper, who kills Marlene, shows the dangers of life on the streets, where, good as one may seem, no one can really be trusted.

                                 As the older girls, a baby faced Jennifer Lawrence and Melinda Dahl registered superbly.  If there is one episode from this series I would recommend to viewers, it is this one.


                                      I started crying the second it hit me the situation Marlene and her daughters were in.  If anything else does not get you, I guarantee the reunion of Natalie and Abby at the end, with Marlene's ghost, looking on, happily, like Fantine, set to "In The Arms Of The Angels," will break your heart.

                                       I think this episode should be used as a social service film on homelessness!!!!!!!!!!
                           

No comments: