Followers

Saturday, December 9, 2017

One Of The Earliest (And Most Sophisticated) Board Games I Owned--Vintage Board Game #9--"Video Village!!!!!!!"


                             Let's face it, darlings. If, as a young child, I was already sophisticated enough to dress Debbie Reynolds, then this game was a piece of cake, for me!

                              It was one of the first games I owned that was based on an actual TV show I remember loving to watch, and it was pretty interactive, too.  Who knew I was already zooming to the technological age?

                              What fascinated me about "Video Village" is how lovingly it recreated the actual set in miniature, right down to the bridge, which reminded me of the one in Munchkinland, in "The Wizard Of Oz," which is probably what drew me to this game, in the first place.

                               The dice were in a spinning cage, which was a novelty, and, hey, I had not even heard of the word "video" till then, nor did I realize the impact that word would have on my life.

                               So, "Video Village," while I did not know it, was a kind of foreshadowing of things to come.     And, while the more gaudy "Shenanigans," came along later--both show and game--I never owned that, though one might almost expect me to. It did introduce me, however, to Stubby Kaye, and paved the way for me with Musical Theater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              And the adults and teachers, back then, said these shows and games taught us nothing!

                              Hah!  More than they did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: