Followers

Friday, December 8, 2017

This Was Real Fun, When It First Came Out!!!!!!!!!!!! Vintage Board Game #8--"Operation!"

               
                                Everyone, at the time, wanted to own "Operation," and those who didn't wanted to play it with those who did!  I have to admit the idea fascinated me; in a way, I thought this was pointing the way my life would go, toward the sciences.  But that was before Mr. Barber and Mr. Frankowsky ruined things for me, in eighth grade.

                                  Though I cannot blame it all on them!  Blood?  Feces?  Smells?  This Princess was just not going to deal with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                   So, instead of being the game that drew me closer to the sciences, "Operation" turned out to be as far as I got!

                                   Still, the sexless naked man, the literal names for parts--the "funny" bone, ha, ha!!!!!!!!--also gave the game a sense of humor.  There was no gravitas about this game, and those who have criticized it for being violent and dangerous are wrong!   Though Milton Bradley had some real hazardous toys during the day.  Go back some years, and read my post on "Time Bomb!"   And I loved that!

                                    But "Operation" was special in its own way.  Though it has been updated and redesigned, it is still on the market!  I, of course, will stick with the original.

                                     See, darlings?????????????????????????

                                      Science was never so much fun, before or since!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



2 comments:

Videolaman said...

EVERYONE had this game: even if you were on welfare, you harangued every adult around until one got it for you. It was promoted by one of the earliest, most effective ear-worm TV ads ever broadcast, and they ran it into the ground for years. Anyone who was a child in the 60s-70s has that commercial imprinted on their brain, with the obnoxious older sister winning the game as she narrates:

"Remove funny bone"
(she does with aplomb)
"Hah. Hah. HAH!!!"

The Raving Queen said...


I forgot about that commercial,
but you brought it back. I
still wish I had my "Operation!"