Followers

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Can You Believe It, Darlings?????????? No Jane Smiley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The New York Times Has Done It Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                   For those of out there who are readers, we come to the time of year, which amounts to our Oscars.  Yesterday, The New York Times named its 100 Most Notable Books Of 2014, from which ten--five fiction, five non-fiction or poetry--will be culled to form the Ten Best List, which should be announced next week.  As always, this can work in two ways--telling me what books I need to read, or what I must avoid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                   Following tradition, this posting will consist of notable listings from the list--I cannot list all 100, and then what I think should go on the list, versus what I think WILL.  Since I am such a fiction/literature reader, I will concentrate on that portion of the list; I cannot recall, if I read a non-fiction book, all year.

                                   Among the Fiction Books selected by The Times were--
                                   1. All The Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr--A favorite of mine, deserving of the highest praise.  Too bad it lost the National Book Award.
                                   2.  The Blazing World, by Sri Hustvedt--So much buzz about this one, I am not a bit surprised to see it here.
                                    3.  The Bone Clocks, by David Mitchell--I can't wait to read this one, myself. David is always interesting.

                                      4. Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki, And His Years Of Pilgrimage, by Haruki Murakami--Well, it is Murakami, so it gets on the list.  But what might have been a penetrating examination of social exclusion and its impact on the individual proves disappointing.  I am amazed, especially from the reviews, it turned up here. Again, it is Murakami!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                     5.  Fourth Of July Creek, by Smith Henderson--There has been so much buzz and attention given to this what I feel is an overrated piece of crap that, again, I am not surprised it turns up on the list.  Every character is fucked up, not one is redeemable. Ho Hum.
                                      6.  The Laughing Monsters, by Denis Johnson--Denis almost gets on here, no matter what.  I need to know more about this one, before I even think of reading it.
                                       7. Let Me Frank With You, by Richard Ford--Another Frank Bascombe novel from the always readable Ford.  I am anxious to read it.
                                      8.  Lila, by Marilynne Robinson--The end of the trilogy that began with "Gilead."  I have GOT to read it, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                       9. Lovers At The Chameleon Club, Paris 1932, Francine Prose--Another favorite, and a front runner for Book Of The Year.  The results will be in when we compare the actual NY Times Ten Best List.
                                      10. The Narrow Road To The Deep North, by Richard Flanagan--Lots of buzz about this one, but I will need more info before deciding to tackling it.
                                       11. Nora Whitaker, by Colm Tobin--Its Colm Tobin. What more is there to say?
                                        12. The Paying Guests, by Sarah Waters--Loved her early stuff, but have not kept up. This may be the one to bring me back to her!
                                         13. Redeployment, by Phil Klay--OK, it won the National Book Award. Another war novel set in Iran.  Between this and Denis Johnson, I have had it.  I swear, if this makes the Ten Best, I will NOT read it!
                                          14. Remember Me Like This, by Bret Anthony Johnston--I have had this sitting on my shelf for awhile, so now I have GOT to read it.  It has garnered almost as much notice as the Matthew Thomas book.
                                           15. Thirty Girls, by Susan Minot--Interesting writer, have not heard from her much lately, might be worth a look.
                                            16.  We Are Not Ourselves, by Matthew Thomas--I would put this on any list, but I have to warn you, it is wrenching. If you are in a situation where you, a loved one, or family member is facing a debilitating illness, DO NOT read it.

                              OK, that's what was worth mentioning from the 100 list.  So, to bring it down to five, here is what I think should go on the list.

                                 My Picks
                               1. Love In The Chameleon Club, Paris, 1932, by Francine Prose
                                2. All The Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr
                                3. We Are Not Ourselves, by Matthew Thomas
                                4. Lila, by Marilynne Robinson
                                 5. Remember Me Like This, by Bret Anthony Johnston

                              Now, here is what I think the New York Times will choose. Note the difference!

                               The New York Times Picks
                               1. The Blazing World, by Sri Hustvedt
                                2. Fourth Of July Creek, by  Smith Henderson
                                3. Redeployment, by Phil Klay
                                4.Bark:Stories, by Lorrie Moore
                                5. The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher:Stories, by Hilary Mantel

                             There you have, girls!  Lots to ponder over, lots to think about reading, and soon a lot TO read!  Get busy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                 

                                 

No comments: