Followers

Friday, June 14, 2013

Happy Flag Day, Girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                 When it comes to being patriotic, darlings, a Fourth of July barbecue, or singing songs by George M. Cohan, (from the musical, "George M!!!!!") or the score from "!776" is about as far as I go!  I couldn't even tell you the historical significance of Flag Day.  All that it has meant to me, for lo these many years, is that it is the birthday of my friend, Mary Anne.  Now, I wouldn't dream of telling my girls her age, let alone ANYONE's age, but let me say, growing up, Mary Anne was the Mary Beth McDonough (aka Erin Walton!!!!!!!) of our neighborhood.  I was just on Mary Beth's website the other day, (do you know she has written a memoir, "Lessons Learned From Walton's Mountain???"  Girls, I cannot WAIT to read it!!!!) and let me tell you Mary Beth is looking pretty good, a bit removed from her Erin days!!!!!!!!!!!  While Mary Anne, I can tell you, with certainty, looks as ingenuous as...........Amy Adams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  So, Happy Birthday, Mary Anne, and Happy Flag day!

                                  If only there wasn't more!

                                  Because--I am afraid--Flag Day is about to be tarnished.  Today marks exactly the six month (Half a year!!!!!!!!  Can you believe it, girls???????????????) of the Newtown Massacre, by that sickie, Adam Lanza, and the populace is having some sort of commemoration!!!!!  But what rotten timing!

                                    But, then, maybe not, because if the patriotism of Flag Day is remembering heroes who have gone before (as most patriotic dates are) then, for those of us not so historically attuned, it can be a reminder to pause and recall the innocents who undeservedly suffered in our wake.  And their families, who will go on suffering!

                                    So, pause, darlings, take a breath, and then remember the day more jubilantly!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      And, Mary Anne, have a Bloody Mary or Frozen Margarita for me!

                                      Even better, I will have one for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: